No Key Detected | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Key Detected

Just out of curiosity... is your cellphone/smart phone close to or in the same pocket as the key(s)?
I know if i wear certain shorts and keys/phone have to share a pocket the keys will not be detected outside or inside the vehicle.

It doesn't work even with the phone in the house. At the beginning, that's all I had to do, just take the fob out and it would start, but eventually that stopped working too. I've changed the batteries and Ford has also changed the batteries and reprogrammed both of them, but neither fob works at all now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been having issues with my drivers door not automatically unlocking when I grab the door handle. I have to unlock the door using the fob manually. Upon entering, and starting the car I usually see 'cannot detect key' on the display left of the wheel. Also lately I've had to push the start button numerous times before it would start.

This Thursday I've booked the car in to my dealer. I think the issue is the 'proximity sensor ' but will see what they turn up.

Mine is in the shop right now (but not Ford) so if they find the problem, I'll let you know and maybe they can check that first on yours.

P S A
I recently got an RFID blocking leather wallet.
One day I got in with the wallet on my fob, & the car said No Key Detected when I went to start it.
It started after removing the wallet.
Just yesterday I had the fob and wallet in opposite pockets but I bundled the jacket in a little ball for about 2 hours.
Went to start the car and No Key Detected.
The FOB could do everything else but start the car. Locked and unlocked doors ok, blinked, panic, etc.
After about 3 minutes it started the car and was fine.
Def keeping the fob away from that wallet...

I am having issues with my key today. I replaced the batteries and it did not work. I will try my other key when the wife comes home. It will remote start the car from inside the vehicle but will not start unless the key is near the holder in the center console. I say near because with the console vault installed, it is very difficult to get the key out of the holder. I keep my fob naked (no ring or other keys attached).

Lee

What about the vehicle battery? I've seen low voltage take out the fob sensing module. Does your spare work?

What about the vehicle battery? I've seen low voltage take out the fob sensing module. Does your spare work?
My wife has the other one key and she is at work. I had just driven the car 30 miles and it was working fine when I left so the battery should not be an issue. When I got home it was working again.

As title say I was driving on the highway and out of nowhere I get this message on the left hand screen. A little panic set in that my car would stop running!! Batteries were replaced a month ago.
Anyone else ever seen this?

As title say I was driving on the highway and out of nowhere I get this message on the left hand screen. A little panic set in that my car would stop running!! Batteries were replaced a month ago.
Replace the battery in the fob again.

Your thread was merged with this one on a similar topic and found using the handy 'Search' feature.
You will find this warning is not that unusual. I had it a couple times after getting out and back in with the fob in my pocket. I just clicked OK and drove on.

Peter

Has anyone else gotten this little message before for no reason? I had the key in my pocket, but I went to start the engine and it said no key detected. I know now that you have to place the key in the little slot in the center console, and then the car will start, but I was just wondering how and/or why this happens. This has happened twice already and I've only had the truck 3 months. Not a big deal, just a little weird.
:salute:
I had several time around specific area. And it is very close to city substation. I'm sure because high electricity interrupt frequency of Ford smart key systems.
You can start keys with emergency key slot in the console box

I had several time around specific area. And it is very close to city substation. I'm sure because high electricity interrupt frequency of Ford smart key systems.
You can start keys with emergency key slot in the console box
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
BTW, the member you quoted was last seen here 10 years ago. :)

Peter

Having an issue with my 2013 Explorer Sport key fob. I can lock / unlock doors, but the key is not detected when in the vehicle. The only way to start is to put in the pocket in the console. Second key fob has the same issue. Replaced batteries, but still same problem. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Lex

Need battery. I had same replaced battery and no more issues.

Welcome to the Forum Lex. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature (upper right).
Do you have anything plugged into the power points or USB port?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Lex. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature (upper right).
Do you have anything plugged into the power points or USB port?

Peter
Thank you! I did, but unplugged everything, and still doesn't detect the key. I also recently had the car battery replaced, so no issues there

So my wife just called and said the car had "no key detected". I explained to put it in the slot in the center console, still no start. I walked her through the procedure to remote start the car(she doesn't use it). The car started fine. But still no key detected. She went in the store and got a new battery and the car started. But while driving down the road she said it still says no key detected. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

So my wife just called and said the car had "no key detected". I explained to put it in the slot in the center console, still no start. I walked her through the procedure to remote start the car(she doesn't use it). The car started fine. But still no key detected. She went in the store and got a new battery and the car started. But while driving down the road she said it still says no key detected. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
When the warning comes up, is there a message saying to press OK on the steering wheel buttons? If so, try that and see if the warning comes back.

Peter

When the warning comes up, is there a message saying to press OK on the steering wheel buttons? If so, try that and see if the warning comes back.

Peter
I will check when I get home. She was able to make it home(10 miles) without it disabling the car. When she got into the driveway and turned it off this is what it showed.

received_1005200253813609.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe I've seen that message before but I'm going to give it a 'guess'. When the engine is shut OFF you can restart it without the key if you do so within 20 seconds of turning it OFF.
Just pulled up a 2011 manual and here is what it shows.
1685989188849.png

Peter

Back