No more dash lighting after installing a Kenwood Headunit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No more dash lighting after installing a Kenwood Headunit

SoundMan2010

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT
I installed a Kenwood head unit in my 1994 Explorer with Premium sound system(Not JBL) with a wiring harness that I just plugged into the factory power and amp cables and then spliced onto the harness for the head unit. After doing so however I have no more panel lighting, when I turn on the lights the headlights function properly I just can't read any of my gauges. The head unit itself works great as far as sound goes and it seems like the panel is the only issue. on the head unit there are three wires left, one labeled for antenna, on e for antenna power, and one for mute. and on the wiring harness there are cables left that are the orange white which is specified as dimmer, the orange which is specified as illumination, and then there's also an orange/black, a blue and a blue/white. my question is how can I get back my panel illumination, I've tried connecting the harness cables to the ones on the head unit to see if they'll provide the power but I got nothing. If someone knows how to fix this I would really appreciate the help.

blue and blue white sound like amp remote and power antenna wires to me (im sure there are people who know more about this stuff than i do i am just spit balling) Can you disconnect the illumination wire to see if you have dash lighting again? It could be as simple as a fuse. I dont know about the first gens but on the 2nd gens its tied into the parking lamps wiring it all comes on at once.

/my2cents

Back