• Register Today It's free!

No start

Miamimanic

Reaction score
City, State
Miami,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have changed starter,ign switch,fender mount solenind,load tested battery,still no start.My question is would netural safety be cause or start wire from fender solenoid to starter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume the motor turns over but does not start????

Have you verified that you have spark?

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Good luck ....

No motor does not turn over. Acts like battery dead,but load tested battery.Battery tested good. It will turn over and start if I jump solenoid

I have changed starter,ign switch,fender mount solenind,load tested battery,still no start.My question is would netural safety be cause or start wire from fender solenoid to starter.

Could be the neutral safety switch, sometimes it will start in neutral and not in park. Check to see if the small wire on the solenoid is hot when you turn the key. I think it's blue/red.

See,thats what I wasn't sure about. It will not start in park or netural and small wire is not hot when key is turned.

Sounds like your neutral safety switch, I'd try to find a used one to swap in to check it, I think they are expensive...

Attachments

• neutralsw.jpg
    neutralsw.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 158

It could also be a bad positive battery cable. Corrosion of the cable inside the battery connector can cause enough voltage drop to prevent starting. Check for voltage at the big red wire on the starter. If good, try to crank the engine. If the voltage drops to zero when you try to crank it, the battery cable is bad. Also check the functioning of the starting relay on the passenger side inside fender, near the power distribution box.

Bob

First let me say thank you to all who replied.It seem somewhere a long the line,a alarm was installed and removed before it was sold to me.After two shops and 275.00 later,a friend traced the problem to the netural safety circut. There is a circut on netural safety switch that feeds solenoid through ignition switch.Quick fix for now was to bypass netural safety from ign. switch to solenoid.Only draw back,it will start in any gear.When weather clears a little we are fix it right.Again thanks to all

Back