No Starter, No Fuel Pump...Theft light? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Starter, No Fuel Pump...Theft light?

Maverick7687

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EB Explorer
It seems that I have no permissions in the 911 forum.
I have searched and all the threads I have found note a different behavior of the THEFT light.

I have a 2002 EB Explorer that is currently out of commision.
The story goes: I was sitting at a red light and suddenly it sputtered and stalled as if the fuel pump stopped working. Tried to start back and the starter wouldn't engage. Got it rolled into a parking lot and started looking around and I noticed that the behavior of the Theft light didn't change at all from the vehicle being locked to the key inserted and turned to ON or START positions.

I have seen plenty of threads where the Theft light flashes fast or something, well, this one does nothing. The same 2 sec interval blinking when the key is inserted and turned to ON or START.

Everything else works, the fuel pump does not prime and the starter does not engage.
My gut says this is related to the PATS system, possibly the transceiver, but the behavior of the light throws me off.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd start with the PATS system for sure. As both the fuel pump and starter don't work, I'd ignore them. Certainly the starter didn't cause it to die.

That was my thought too. I took the PATS transceiver from my other explorer and tried it on this one with no change once I got it here. I have never heard of an RFID chip just dying, but I guess that's possible. That still doesn't explain why the Theft light wouldn't stay on and start the rapid flash when the key was turned on. I assume that is some sort of self-check that it does at startup then flashes rapidly to indicate a problem.

I checked all the PATS fuses, Anti-Theft, starter, and FP fuses.

Any other ways known to check the PATS system other than a dealer with a scan tool?
I know the starter didn't cause it to die while it was running, and I know if the fuel pump went bad it didn't cause the starter to not work.. That system is the only thing that relates to both the starting and fuel system.

All that being said, if what part of the PATS system could fail that would cause the fuel pump to stop working while the vehicle was running?
The PCM is working because the Mileage/Info Center still works correctly.

Can you just swap PATS systems like that? I'd think programming would be required. Could it be wiring or a connection some where that's interrupting the power chain?

Easiest thing may be to have a shop (dealer) scope out the PATS.

I was thinking that any part of the PATS system would have to be programmed in.. But I was trying to remain optimistic.. Fortunately, I didn't have to find out. I just started on it again (The previous diagnosis was done immediately following a 12hr night shift on the side of the road with two small children inside) and went through my normal troubleshooting process.

Solution: Fuse #41 : HEGO, VMV, CMS, PTEC ... I have no idea what all of that is and I will be looking that up, but apparently some part of it controls whether the MF starts or not. Replaced that fuse and she fired right up and everything is back to normal.
So no PATS bill for me. Yay!

That's good news, just need to find why the fuse blew now.

Back