No torsion twist for me??

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hey guys,
I just bought some BFG 31" and they look great! They don't rub at all whenever I turn and they ride smooth as a dream. I was hoping that I might be able to get a couple of inches out of lift by doing a TT but was dismayed when I discovered that I couldn't. I looked down at the TT adjuster bolts and the driver side has maybe a quarter of an inch of spare and the passenger has quite a bit (about 2.5 inches). What is the deal?? How can I fix this??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Longer bolts! :cool:

if I were to take the current bolts out, would that hurt or stress anything??

This is the size you want: M12-1.75 x 100mm bolts

Just be carefull what bolts you get. I bought ones and used them and broke one with it half way in! :eek: I had to rig up a jack and plier setup which was not pretty! :rolleyes:

make sure the bolts you get are automotive grade... they will probably be made of black metal with a number stamped on the head like 8.8

Click on "Gerald's Truck" in my sig line and go to the second post. Somewhere in all that info is where I discuss torsion bars and twist.... mine was the same and I noticed that my left bar was inserted 1/6 turn off, so I removed the bar, rotated it 1/6 turn, replaced it, and THEN the adjusting bolt was long enough.

It's simpler to buy a longer bolt, but heed the warnings and get a strong bolt. You will also note that the end of the torsion bolt is round and you will need to grind the end of the longer bolt you buy into a rounded end. Put grease on the end before installation. If you don't grind it round and grease it up, it will do like Stic-o wrote and grab into the adjusting arm and break the bolt in half when you tighten it.

RedEB said:
Hey guys,
I just bought some BFG 31" and they look great! They don't rub at all whenever I turn and they ride smooth as a dream. I was hoping that I might be able to get a couple of inches out of lift by doing a TT but was dismayed when I discovered that I couldn't. I looked down at the TT adjuster bolts and the driver side has maybe a quarter of an inch of spare and the passenger has quite a bit (about 2.5 inches). What is the deal?? How can I fix this??

My bolts are the same. I know I need longer bolts but how long? Should I go ahead and get bolts for both sides then?

M12-1.75 x 100mm

The 100mm part is the length. And if you're going to buy them online... or without seeing them first. Make sure they are fully threaded! Most bolts with this pitch and lenth are only threaded about 3/4 of the way up.

I see now. Thanks!

Oh ok, it sounds like I'll probably be better of just buying those bolts and inserting those after rounding and greasing.
Thanks guys!!!!!!!

Back