Nobody cares about 4th gen? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nobody cares about 4th gen?

I hear that after the whole roll over issues aftermarket interests didn't want to touch the 3rd gens and it got worse with the 4th gens but then since the 5th gens are really just a Taurus/flex they felt safe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LOL, the rollover issues were mostly due to firestone tires and people telling owners to deflate them.

Not to say they won't roll...my brother was in a 1st gen rollover and other than glass in his right arm, walked away injury free. I about rolled my Mounty in the hay field one night....doing dumb ****.

But if you're driving sensibly and have tires that are maintained, rollovers are a lot less likely. (the two above cases of a rollover and an almost rollover...sensible driving wasn't part of the equation lol)

LOL, the rollover issues were mostly due to firestone tires and people telling owners to deflate them.

Not to say they won't roll...my brother was in a 1st gen rollover and other than glass in his right arm, walked away injury free. I about rolled my Mounty in the hay field one night....doing dumb ****.

But if you're driving sensibly and have tires that are maintained, rollovers are a lot less likely. (the two above cases of a rollover and an almost rollover...sensible driving wasn't part of the equation lol)

yeah many things added to the roll overs... my parents rolled their 2nd gen on a snowy road down into a ditch filled with trees they both walked away with bumps and the 2 dogs were perfectly fine.... later on all we can say is why did you not have it in 4wd since their 95 had the option for 2wd, 4wd and low....personally i feel unstoppable with the RSC on the 4th gens It will not let me do anything fun

I think the 4th gen explorer/mountaineer is under-appreciated, but of course I'm biased.
I really like my Mountaineer. The 4.6 has plenty of power, the 6r60 transmits it well and the IRS provides smooth, composed handling.
It's a shame the transmission won't engage first gear and the front diff is trashed.

Given the torque of the 4.6, I could imagine that if one had the front end disconnected (driveshaft removal) and hit the button on the dash to disengage the RSC/traction control, one could very easily throw the rear out on a turn with a heavy right foot..lol.

I think the 4th gen explorer/mountaineer is under-appreciated, but of course I'm biased.
I really like my Mountaineer. The 4.6 has plenty of power, the 6r60 transmits it well and the IRS provides smooth, composed handling.
It's a shame the transmission won't engage first gear and the front diff is trashed.

Have any local viable options for a trans and diff?

After upgrading my ****ty old Toyo car tires for some Wrangler Trailmark hides, I feel damned near unstoppable in mine. We're supposed to get some heavy snow sunday afternoon and into monday...sucks I have to work both days.....I feel like some snow driving with a couple of buddies, some Hank Jr and Waylon blastin', and a stop somewhere for a burger and a dr pepper would be a great pre-christmas stress reliever.

Probably settle for the gravel roads around my farm after I get off work LOL. Definitely have the hank and the dr peppers though!

With the AWD fuse pulled, my mountaineer can be pitched sideways with ease.
Have any local viable options for a trans and diff?

After upgrading my ****ty old Toyo car tires for some Wrangler Trailmark hides, I feel damned near unstoppable in mine. We're supposed to get some heavy snow sunday afternoon and into monday...sucks I have to work both days.....I feel like some snow driving with a couple of buddies, some Hank Jr and Waylon blastin', and a stop somewhere for a burger and a dr pepper would be a great pre-christmas stress reliever.

Probably settle for the gravel roads around my farm after I get off work LOL. Definitely have the hank and the dr peppers though!
A used diff would be very easy to source, but I don't want to do that before I've fixed the trans. I've done pretty extensive work trying to diagnose my transmission with no luck. It's a pretty strange issue.
This is my thread on it.

I have both a Gen 2 and Gen 4. While I do think the Gen 4 (4.6L V8) is a very capable vehicle, I tend to use it more for towing and general people and product moving. This may be because the Gen 2 is a Sport with manual transmission. The Gen 2 finds itself more in the woods and for more of the grunt work. It may be because of its age, but I seem to be modifying the Gen 2 more. There is no shortage of regular maintenance parts for the Gen 4. It is funny I do not have too much desire to modify the Gen 4, but the Gen 2 is lifted, has some basic bumper mods (planning on fabricating new ones) and modified to 2-to-1 custom exhaust. I am planning a bedliner paint job and custom rock sliders as well. I'm not sure that the availability of aftermarket parts is the reason. Is there anything specific that is being sought for the Gen 4?

Back