Noise after installing K&N air filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise after installing K&N air filter

Mike Moyer

Reaction score
I have noticed that my engine seems loader after I have installed a K&N air filter. Is this normal or am I just hearing things?

Thanks,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could be experiencing more noise depending on the year model of your Explorer and the type of filter. If you just have the drop in replacement filter, it may be slighly more noisy but probably not much. If you drilled holes in your airbox, you will have more noise, as well as more airflow and an increase in performance you can probably feel. You may not have the airbox cover properly secured back on.

If you have replaced the stock system with a conical filter, you probably will have more noise due to the increase in air flow.

In either situation, you need to reset the computer so it will recognize the modification.

------------------
Ira

91 XLT 4x4

You could be experiencing more noise depending on the year model of your Explorer and the type of filter. If you just have the drop in replacement filter, it may be slighly more noisy but probably not much. If you drilled holes in your airbox, you will have more noise, as well as more airflow and an increase in performance you can probably feel. You may not have the airbox cover properly secured back on.

If you have replaced the stock system with a conical filter, you probably will have more noise due to the increase in air flow.

In either situation, you need to reset the computer so it will recognize the modification.

------------------
Ira

91 XLT 4x4

------------------
Ira

91 XLT 4x4

------------------
Ira

91 XLT 4x4

Sorry,
Did not mean to post so many times but when trying to post, kept getting error message saying it did not post. Guess what...It did, and did and did and did.

Hey, thanks for the reply. My truck is a 93. All I did was put in the K&N replacement filter. (the square one) The filter box lid is on tight and sealed in the back. I have not drilled holes in the box. I can't decide which way to go on that one? Anyway I am getting a rushing air sound when I realy get on the gas. Was just woundering if that is normal.

Thanks'
Mike

I have K&N drop-in filter also. I drilled holes also in a way that the holes 1/2'" size and placed a PVC plastic pipes that they used for the sprinklers, to hold it in place, I clamp it on both sides. after making several 2 holes with PVC pipes onto the front, I added 2 more holes with the PVC pipes onto the sides bending it using a torch facing the front also. I did not make holes on the engine sides because everybodies opinion is that hot air coming from the engine is not good. Then, the best part I did, I wrapped the box with a self adhesive aluminum duct insulation. I got this from Home Depot for $13+ . I had a lot of excess though. I also wrapped the top box cover with the insulation foil. Well I'm sure this will keep the air flow cold enough plus the noise is low.

------------------

Back