noise when slowing down

dirtrat

Reaction score
City, State
White Haven, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
98 xlt 4.0 ohv

i am getting a noise when slowing down that sounds like the 4x4 is engaged starts making the noise between 25-30 mph and continues to make it until you stop completely... 4x4 selector is in the "auto" position......... would greatly appreciate any info or if you could point me in the direction of another thread that may discuss this problem.... thanks for any help.... Dirtrat :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn sorry i couldnt help with anything constructive but if it helps in anyway, i have this noise also and about 100 more that need immediate attention!! but for some reason im not allowed to start my own thread

kinda sounds like the 4x4 is engaged low pitched whine

98 xlt

i have the same problem. but my noise sounds like metal gears out spinning each other. it only happens if accelerate over 40mph. let off the pedal and let it coast and decelerate, around 25-20mph the noise starts. sound disappears around 10mph. if accelerate under 40mph then no noise. just recently changed atf and filter. immediat test drive produced nothing new. if anything, the noise has been reduced but it is still very noticeable. i have a pressing dead battery issue that is preventing me from figuring this one out...

just an update:

my problem ended up being a transfer case problem. lost drive control when it blew out on the free way, which wasn't fun being stuck going uphill and no more gas.

Back