Noises coming from truck at 40-45 or so MPH | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noises coming from truck at 40-45 or so MPH

Mirge

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer
Well, our Ex has been doing this for over a year now, and we've just kinda tolerated it... hasn't really gotten any worse, but our patience with it is kinda gone at this point.

When I drive the truck at around 40-47mph.... I hear a rather loud and annoying vibration type sound coming from the back of the truck.

It doesn't seem to be coming from "underneath" the truck, the sound directly that is... it sounds almost like it's the back glass? One of the sounds anyway. There's another sound that happens within that range that almost sounds "tinny" or "metallic" as well... kind of like metal hitting metal, but no where near the motor area. (EDIT: also a vibrational type noise it seems to me anyway)

Any thoughts on what to check to help diagnose & correct the noises?

rear liftgate adjustment

Does your rear liftgate fit tightly when closed? If not, it might be the rattle you're hearing. There is a post with a bushing on each side that the liftgate latches to. It is held in place with a torx head bolt. You can loosen the bolt and adjust how tightly the liftgate latches in place. The bushing on mine is split.

Does your rear liftgate fit tightly when closed? If not, it might be the rattle you're hearing. There is a post with a bushing on each side that the liftgate latches to. It is held in place with a torx head bolt. You can loosen the bolt and adjust how tightly the liftgate latches in place. The bushing on mine is split.

Hmm... as far as I can tell, it closes tightly. The handle that opens the liftgate is a little wonky though... it "sticks", when you open it... it doesn't automatically go back.. the handle itself that is. Almost like a spring isn't powerful enough to push it back 'open' again.. in the handle itself.

I'll go see if I can tell what bushings you're talking about.. brb.

Didn't really see anything cracked... there are 2 black "blocks", almost triangular shaped.. near the bottom on each side. I assumed that's what you were referring to, but not positive... they appear to be in pretty good shape.

It's definitely a vibration-type noise... you can just tell based on the sound of it. I'm charging the camera battery right now... might be able to pick up the audio while driving later this evening. It's driving us absolutely nuts though!!

Back