• Register Today It's free!

Noobie needs some guidance

SuddenDeath

Reaction score
City, State
Mays Landing, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Hey folks, I've got a '94 XLT explorer, 'tis my first truck. I've been going offroad with buddies totally stock, and been having a total friggen blast. Now it's time to start toying with the good old exploder. I've worked up a little shopping list including a 2" suspension lift and 32x11.50 mud-terrain's to give her that little extra grip in the mud around here (I live in NJ, so mud is basically all we've got xD). What I'm asking is, what is the best gear selection for my setup? I use my xploder for everyday driving, plus weekend (and sometimes weekday, but you get the idea) offroading. I'm decently mechanical, but for what I don't know my buds who I go offroading with fill in the gaps. I'm looking for some extra power, I don't want to get stuck in the mud or whatever we decide to tackle. But at the same time, I don't want to go waaay over the top and rob every last drop of my gas mileage.

So what are your suggestions, oh masterful explorer guys?

(lol, thanks in advanced for any help)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My suggestion is you partake in one of the Rausch Creek runs :). I dunno when the next one is but there's usually a fall run.

For 32s and a 4.0 I would get 4.10s. They are not a straight forward install, not for the average mechanic. Gears don't really have anything to do with getting stuck, it's all in the lockers :D

Well hey, I'm obviously a noob when it comes to most of this, so If I'm going off in the wrong direction, someone point me the right way. Like I said, I'm just looking for a nice setup that wont ruin everyday driveability, be pretty mean (comparably) off the road, and improve preformance (moderately, like I said, nothing insane). My bud said that a new gear setup would help with torque and power, along with get up and go on the road. If I should be looking at something different, please, by all means, point me at it. I love doing my homework on this stuff and getting the right info from the people who know it best.

So far, the 'total' whish list for what I'm planning on sticking in this truck are, in order from first purchase to last (due to money availibility/practicality)

1: Flowmaster Delta 40 Muffler
2: KN Drop-In Air Filter
3:4x Polk 5x7 Coaxial Speakers (Gotta have the soundsystem, already have a Pioneer 5900 headunit /w an ipod in the glovebox)
4:The 2" Lift
5:The 32" tires, to accompany the lift
6:New ring/pinion, and associated kits/parts to install

Now, If I'm going astray tell me. If thats a good start, tell me. If there's something I should drop in favour of something else thats better, cheaper, more effective...you get the idea ;) Sorry to use you guys as a sounding board for my ideas, but all of my offroading pals have friggen jeeps, so they cant recommend things like you guys can from experience.

No-no, gears greatly help driveability with large tires, high gears and big tires suck, it's no fun to drive. You will be able to slow speed crawl better too, especially if you have a manual, but as far as getting stuck, a locking differential is what will keep you moving. Might want to save up and do both at the same time.
Here's an example of locked vs open diff video I made so you get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lydlwgiW6Y&feature=user

Some other things to consider. Air intake point on the Explorers is a weak point. If you go with a drop in K & N you may want to pull the air intake hose from the box, at least when wheeling. Also dont forget basic recovery equipment, Hi-lift Jack or come along, snatch strap, shovel, ect.

Ok, well, I've been doing my homework and checking things out on the forums. It was after I read the "$32 Spring Over Axle" thread that I started thinking. It was when I then read the "Half Body Lift/SOA" thread that I started thinking even more. How practical is that on a first gen? I was thinking F150 spacers up front, to get 1.5"-2" of lift, the SOA in the rear, and the sloped body lift to even it all out. From the prices I've been seeing, this^^ seems like it'll cost me just as much, if not less, than the 2" suspension lift all around I was planning. I'm all for working with what I've got and keeping costs down per maximum effectiveness (the SOA seems like a real money saving procedure.)

How practical is that idea? Thoughts? Comments? Anti-noob slaps?

If this is a decent idea, what body lift would you recommend? Any particular kit/manufacturer?

you go off road Alot I suggest staying with a regular filter. The k&n's let in a lot more dirt than necisary.

I would stay away from the slopped body lift on a daily driver, stick with your plan, only add a front aussie locker. It won't effect on road handling 1 bit, it's pretty cheap, and it's a cinch to install while your in there doing the gears anyway.
Honestly, a locker front and rear, with some 31x10.5 mud tires and no lift will do you more good then the lift and bigger tires will.

I think that sounds like a solid plan, little x. It also seems like the best usage of dollars. My pops is a USAF fabrication expert, and his shop at work is typically bored. I'm probably going to see if they can help me fab up some things that other members have built themselves (was reading the homemade cold air intake and snorkel threads, the snorkel may be a bit much tho ;) ). I may wait on the locker, Xmas aint too far away, and $240 is out of my budget for right now. I may be able to do a 2" lift though no problem, having my dad's guys fab up some shackles in the back and me grabbing the F150 coil seats/ a new set of camber bushings. A 2" lift for $50-$60 doesnt sound too shabby (I've got a mechanic bud who's going to do an alignment for me for free)

Gotta be careful though, lulz, or I'll end up with some crazy assed super-alloy rear shackles. They're known to do stuff like that...

But, heres a question. Where do you guys find your bumpers/grille guards? I cant find one friggen thing to fit a 1st gen X. I'm thinking of asking them to check out fabbing a grille guard/light bar or a whole new bumper. Gotta prioritize though, cant get ahead of myself.

Ooh, I did MORE reading around (jesus, someone stop me already, I'm going to hurt myself!) and heard about using F-150 coils up front for 2" of lift. I know, as a fact, that the local 'yard has a rear-ended F-150 that I could rip the coil springs off of for dirt cheap. Those, with my custom-built shackles in back, should give me 2" of lift all around, correctemundo? With this lift, would I need camber bushings, or drop brackets? I'm thinking camber bushings, but hey, thats not a bad friggen deal. Only thing I'd end up paying for are the bushings! lol

Correct A Mundo!

Its always wise to get camber bushings if you dont want to kill your tires, and maybe prevent premature wear on the ball joints.

AHaha you're so right.

I read here on explorerforums about using the coil seats, and someplace else...(rangerstation or someplace with a name like it) someone was talking about using the actual coils themselves and how it worked like a charm. I would think the diff. is the seat's only give like 1"-1 1/2" lift. The springs themselves would give 2"? I dont know. I figure maybe I'll just grab both of that smashed '150, and if one doesnt work or I dont like it, throw in the other :p

I wheel with two guys with the dirty jersey crew that have bone stock, 1st gen., 4- doors. One made it all day in the pine berrens with us in two wheel drive! The other finally upgraded to 31x10.50 mickys and it was pretty capable with no lift. I would do the lift and tires first(ground/ tire clearence) then worry about the gears if you think it needs them. Mine came with 4:10's and I run 33x12.50's on it. I think its a little to much on the highway though. Deffinetly think about the air inlet because both of the trucks stalled pretty easily in a small amount of water. Nothing is worse then changing spark plugs in the middle of a foot of water! Keep the questions coming, "The only dumb question is the one you dont ask".

i had 33's on my 01 with the stock 3.73's and it was fine one diffs went through mud a soup at hub to alittle above hub hight no prob really make the jeep guys mad when the get stuck and u don't

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would not recomend usin F 150 springs. I do not know the spring rate but I would expect them to be close to 2,000 lb where the explorer spring rate is 1,250 lb. Stiffer springs less flex (bad).

Also extend you breather lines on the diffs.

Back