Not again | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not again

Leaving from family's house last night on the way back home, I had someone pull out in front of me while I was going 40mph. He was pulling across traffic to stop in the median, well he stopped in my lane. I locked up the truck and knew I wouldn't be able to stop in time, I was already too close. I tried to swerve into the other lane to avoid hitting him. I ended up still hitting his quarter panel but avoided t-boning him. For hitting him at 40mph I had less damage than expected.

Damage report so far:
Bumper
Grill
Fender
Hood
Driver Side Projector no longer works
Billet Grille may have taken some damage
Header Panel still needs to be checked when i take the grille off

Nothing under the hood was affected, though the flashers drained the battery keeping me from driving it home.

I've already called and got prices and should be able to pull a Hood Fender and Grille for 100 from the local pull-a-part. I'll be replacing the bumper both headlights(factory for now until I find out why the projector isn't working) and header panel if it needs one for roughly 150 from a local OEM aftermarket shop

C1D1A8C9-7664-4130-8A91-617F98BF90D7_zpsg1mfgn0g.jpg

1999E1A6-AB9F-4991-8ED2-3DA24DCF0E41_zpsxev4676o.jpg

Hopefully thee crash just rattled to xenon's ignitor too much. Check the ballast by plugging the working bulb into the non working projector. I recently had an hid go out. I have spares but the cost of new bulbs is horrendous so for now im back to regular as i don't want to end up without lights in the future.

When I pull everything apart this weekend to check if there was any hidden damage, I'm going to plug in the passenger side bulb and see if it works, if it does, I just need to order new bulbs, I'll have to bake the lights to reseat the shroud, it moved forward. I may just put stock back in until I get the time to redo them again

Went and got an estimate from the body shop the insurance uses on Tuesday, it came to 1900 and some change, they stated because of the age of the vehicle they would have to send an adjuster out to determine the value of the vehicle. He came out this morning and took photos of everything inside and out. I received a call from him about an hour later, and stated it would be a total loss, I didn't find out what they valued the vehicle at. I should be hearing from the Total loss division within two business days. I'm just ready for this to be over so I can put the new parts on it already.

Just got a phone call from the Total Loss division, I'm keeping the truck and they are writing me a check for 1658.72, which will be deposited in my account tomorrow or Monday, which covers the 200 in parts that I have already bought, the tow and covers the majority of the money I had to borrow to replace the transmission. Wish I wouldn't have had the accident but it works out. I still need to get a new grille, but besides that I already have all the other parts I will need. So in the end it worked out I suppose

Back