Not sure if my water pump is failing hopefully I caught it soon | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not sure if my water pump is failing hopefully I caught it soon

BogDaddyDirt

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 xlt 4wd
So I was in the process of getting my tires changed on my Explorer and noticed an orange puddle under my engine on the passenger side. The people I was with said could be the water pump I panicked and drove home 4-5 miles away. Looked it up and called the dealership to get it inspected next day. The appointment is tomorrow and I got it towed there today. The temperature didn’t really move but I also drove to and from work one day and didn’t really pay attention 100% because I was out of it (was a Friday) and I just got a radiator flush 1000 miles ago or so but it never goes past half way. When I got home I noticed two more spot I park on the road in the same spot so I never noticed and there were no bigger then a foot wide (if I stood on it with two feet I could barely see it) and I panicked more 😢. I have a warranty and I’m pretty sure I messed up I was busy with work and the neighbor helped me out with the changes and I looked up as long as I have the receipts I should be ok but I talked to the ford guy today and he said maybe because I only have one of the receipts in a 10000 miles gap and only a receipt so now I think I’m ****ed out of the warranty. The warranty lasts till September or 100k I’m at 98k .I didn’t really look too much because i panicked and think/thought the warranty covers it and if it’s the water pump they would know the best because its the dealership. When the tow truck guy showed up he drove it on the truck and I didn’t notice because I ran in to take care of the baby now I’m just picturing the worse. I’m really stressing because I really don’t have any family to help or ask besides my wife, not really married but together for 11 years almost now and a beautiful daughter who just turned 2. I’m just not trying to shut down it’s something I’ve been doing lately because I’ve been making a lot of stupid choices since we’ve had the baby. If anyone has any sort of advice or what to do because I’m feeling lost and I’m not trying to just be like **** it because I’ve had the car only since 2022 at 64k when I got it. I’ve only drove it to work one day and a couple days to pick up the wife probably 200-250 max before I noticed the leaks I just did my oil checks and I just had Ford do a transmission flush and radiator flush on my last oil change at like 95-97k. I just panicked I’ll see what they say tomorrow or Saturday. They drove it at the dealership but I worried when I heard the guys say there might be a heating problem I never noticed the gauge go above half way when I drive it. I’m just worried and don’t know what I should do. Help please if you need clarification on anything let me know the baby is going nuts I’ll get bask asap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you check the coolant level? There is a weep hole that allows the fluid to drain out if the pimp is leaking. Another indication that the oil and coolant have mixed is if the oil on the dipstick has a milky colour to it. Is the ESP you have a Ford ESP?

Peter

So I was in the process of getting my tires changed on my Explorer and noticed an orange puddle under my engine on the passenger side. The people I was with said could be the water pump I panicked and drove home 4-5 miles away. Looked it up and called the dealership to get it inspected next day. The appointment is tomorrow and I got it towed there today. The temperature didn’t really move but I also drove to and from work one day and didn’t really pay attention 100% because I was out of it (was a Friday) and I just got a radiator flush 1000 miles ago or so but it never goes past half way. When I got home I noticed two more spot I park on the road in the same spot so I never noticed and there were no bigger then a foot wide (if I stood on it with two feet I could barely see it) and I panicked more 😢. I have a warranty and I’m pretty sure I messed up I was busy with work and the neighbor helped me out with the changes and I looked up as long as I have the receipts I should be ok but I talked to the ford guy today and he said maybe because I only have one of the receipts in a 10000 miles gap and only a receipt so now I think I’m ****ed out of the warranty. The warranty lasts till September or 100k I’m at 98k .I didn’t really look too much because i panicked and think/thought the warranty covers it and if it’s the water pump they would know the best because its the dealership. When the tow truck guy showed up he drove it on the truck and I didn’t notice because I ran in to take care of the baby now I’m just picturing the worse. I’m really stressing because I really don’t have any family to help or ask besides my wife, not really married but together for 11 years almost now and a beautiful daughter who just turned 2. I’m just not trying to shut down it’s something I’ve been doing lately because I’ve been making a lot of stupid choices since we’ve had the baby. If anyone has any sort of advice or what to do because I’m feeling lost and I’m not trying to just be like **** it because I’ve had the car only since 2022 at 64k when I got it. I’ve only drove it to work one day and a couple days to pick up the wife probably 200-250 max before I noticed the leaks I just did my oil checks and I just had Ford do a transmission flush and radiator flush on my last oil change at like 95-97k. I just panicked I’ll see what they say tomorrow or Saturday. They drove it at the dealership but I worried when I heard the guys say there might be a heating problem I never noticed the gauge go above half way when I drive it. I’m just worried and don’t know what I should do. Help please if you need anything let me know the baby is going nuts I’ll get bask
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you check the coolant level? There is a weep hole that allows the fluid to drain out if the pimp is leaking. Another indication that the oil and coolant have mixed is if the oil on the dipstick has a milky colour to it. Is the ESP you have a Ford ESP?

Peter
I checked the dipstick a couple times before it got towed there it looked good still and the esp is the warranty if so it was the one that came with it I got it certified used from a ford dealer

I checked the dipstick a couple times before it got towed there it looked good still and the esp is the warranty if so it was the one that came with it I got it certified used from a ford dealer
That would be a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) Ford warranty.
If the issue is the water pump, most members also have the timing chain and associated parts changed at the same time. How many miles are on the vehicle?
Good luck.

Peter

If the issue is the water pump, most members also have the timing chain and associated parts changed at the same time. How many miles are on the vehicle?
Good luck.

Peter
98k I’m just pretty sure I messed up maintenance only paperwork wise and now I’m feeling screwed. I have a receipt that show I got the right oil I’m just used to my parents knowing or showing me or doing my paperwork for me

Good luck.

Peter
So the are taking care of the puMp and there was another issue but it’s covered so I didn’t really listen I was too happy they are going to do the timing Chain too just need to buy parts

So the are taking care of the puMp and there was another issue but it’s covered so I didn’t really listen I was too happy they are going to do the timing Chain too just need to buy parts
Does that mean you've got it figured out, is the warranty covering the repairs?

So I was in the process of getting my tires changed on my Explorer and noticed an orange puddle under my engine on the passenger side. The people I was with said could be the water pump I panicked and drove home 4-5 miles away. Looked it up and called the dealership to get it inspected next day. The appointment is tomorrow and I got it towed there today. The temperature didn’t really move but I also drove to and from work one day and didn’t really pay attention 100% because I was out of it (was a Friday) and I just got a radiator flush 1000 miles ago or so but it never goes past half way. When I got home I noticed two more spot I park on the road in the same spot so I never noticed and there were no bigger then a foot wide (if I stood on it with two feet I could barely see it) and I panicked more 😢. I have a warranty and I’m pretty sure I messed up I was busy with work and the neighbor helped me out with the changes and I looked up as long as I have the receipts I should be ok but I talked to the ford guy today and he said maybe because I only have one of the receipts in a 10000 miles gap and only a receipt so now I think I’m ****ed out of the warranty. The warranty lasts till September or 100k I’m at 98k .I didn’t really look too much because i panicked and think/thought the warranty covers it and if it’s the water pump they would know the best because its the dealership. When the tow truck guy showed up he drove it on the truck and I didn’t notice because I ran in to take care of the baby now I’m just picturing the worse. I’m really stressing because I really don’t have any family to help or ask besides my wife, not really married but together for 11 years almost now and a beautiful daughter who just turned 2. I’m just not trying to shut down it’s something I’ve been doing lately because I’ve been making a lot of stupid choices since we’ve had the baby. If anyone has any sort of advice or what to do because I’m feeling lost and I’m not trying to just be like **** it because I’ve had the car only since 2022 at 64k when I got it. I’ve only drove it to work one day and a couple days to pick up the wife probably 200-250 max before I noticed the leaks I just did my oil checks and I just had Ford do a transmission flush and radiator flush on my last oil change at like 95-97k. I just panicked I’ll see what they say tomorrow or Saturday. They drove it at the dealership but I worried when I heard the guys say there might be a heating problem I never noticed the gauge go above half way when I drive it. I’m just worried and don’t know what I should do. Help please if you need clarification on anything let me know the baby is going nuts I’ll get bask asap
I had my 14 waterpump replaced at a dealership, needed nationwide warranty. Cost just over $2,700. It's a 10 hour job done properly. Dealership replace all bolts and checks under the valve covers for oil contamination. Comes with a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. Have them do the time belt while it's off.

I had my 14 waterpump replaced at a dealership, needed nationwide warranty. Cost just over $2,700. It's a 10 hour job done properly. Dealership replace all bolts and checks under the valve covers for oil contamination. Comes with a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty. Have them do the time belt while it's off.
Replacing the timing chain and associated parts is a good idea that many members have done at the same time.
I'm not sure what is meant by Nationwide Warranty being needed. It is covered by the Ford warranty if failure occurred within the warranty period or an ESP.

Peter

Replacing the timing chain and associated parts is a good idea that many members have done at the same time.
I'm not sure what is meant by Nationwide Warranty being needed. It is covered by the Ford warranty if failure occurred within the warranty period or an ESP.

Peter
I have a 14 explorer, so no Ford warranty. I did have a service co tract that covered the repair. Choosing to have a Ford dealer complete the repair got me the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty on the repair.

Back