• Register Today It's free!

Not usual O/D light flashing

svt4cam

Reaction score
City, State
The Wilds of New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT, 02 Sport, 03 XLT
(This also posted in the 95 to 01 forum) Greetings, gang! Thankfully haven't needed the collective wisdom contained here as the fleet of Explorer's have been plugging along well. Up until yesterday. My daughter has our 2000 xlt (sohc 5r55e 22xxxx miles on car about 70xxx on rebuilt Jasper trans I installed abt 5 years ago) as her college car about 150 miles away and I got the dreaded od off light flashing call last night. We went up this morning with another car for her and my code reader. No light and nothing in memory? Ok?? Drove it home and car behaved well shifted smoothly OD works as evidenced by turning off switch and rpms jump abt 400 or so. Light came on for me on way home too, no change in performance. Before I turned off the car put the reader on it again, nothing. Reader is a Innova Equus 3120, should get trans codes, it did on my GM work van. Only weirdness I can sense in the trans is I'm not sure if torque converter is locking up, the rpms seem to float up a bit more when you give it a bit more gas from a steady pace. But I don't drive this old girl much either so I have a hard time saying whats normal. Fluid is full smells ok and is pretty clear, car has a remote filter and fluid and filters have been changed several times during transmissions lifespan. Any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you set the code reader to Ford, DTC codes? Sorry have to ask this question as a code is always stored in the computer when the OD light flashes, never heard of one not being.
Code reader may need to be updated

Turning the key off does not remove the code, it does reset the computer and the OD light will not flash again till the computer sees the error again approx. 3 times while driving, then it will flash the OD light again.

I've had the reader abt 6 months and I suppose it is possible I used it wrong, although when I had a Trans problem on my company GM van it brought up the trans code straight away. I printed out the directions to the scanner and will try again tomorrow morning. I had to drive it briefly tonight and got the light to go on again, so somethings agitating it! I'll post my results.

Update, tried reader again and got PO741. This Innovia reader is a great product but the operating instructions are useless. You have to go to website and print 150 page manual because reader comes with single page in english. So I will drop the old girl at the dealer, if they come back with same diagnosis, I will let em replace converter both filters (1 remote I installed) and new synthetic fluid. Sound like a sane plan? I'd do it myself but I've got a garage full of disassembled Spitfire and no helper or lift. I'm getting too old to wrestle with a 5r55e by myself.

A p0741 code can be many things so don't be surprised if they also want to do a total rebuild.

Had this same scenario with my elder daughters 03 Explorer about 6 months ago the dealer recommended a torque converter when I was unsure that would fix it. Worked like a charm on a 130,000 mile trans, so I do have some trust for the dealer as they could have just said it needs a new trans. The trans in the 2000 is a Jasper that has been faultless so far and been overkilled with fluid and filter changes, so hopefully TQ converter and new filters and fluid will do it. Pop I see your not too far away, we are right on PA border in Phillipsburg.

Good dealers are only as good as the people they have working for them, sounds like your dealer has a good transmission mechanic. Best of luck with your repair.

Back