How to: - Notchy Turn Signal Lever FIX | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Notchy Turn Signal Lever FIX

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Every car I've owned with this feature has been 3 flashes, unless it's in tow mode which is 5, regardless of manufacturer.

The sticking issue can be fixed by your dealer under warranty.
So they are all morons?... or most of them just copied - but the wrong guy!

It's simply too short - it quite obviously then encourages bad driving behaviours:

You either indicate with less warning before beginning a lane change, have not close to completed your lane change before the indication stops, or you change lanes far too quickly (or several/all of these).

I see plenty of this already - we don't need even more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many of us have stated that 3 flashes is too short and that 5 would be more appropriate. As for the 'sticky' lever, some dealers have refused to fix it while others were not aware of it but did order new parts under warranty.
As I've stated before, the way the turn signals operate is my least favourite feature. I've found myself on more that one occasion unintentionally cancelling the signal by hitting it a second time. Also I have turned on the signal and driven a short distance with it flashing when all I wanted to do was cancel the original signal that did not turn off because the turn was not close to 90 degrees and the steering wheel therefore did not cancel it.
I definitely am not a fan of the signal lever returning to the rest or neutral position unless I or the steering wheel set it there.

Peter

I'm still waiting for my 14 Sport to arrive, but I agree with your statment about the signal lever operation.

The "old" way when the lever stays in a position(up or down) was easy to feel if the blinker was on or off. It was rare(if not non-existent) that you would try to cancel the blinker and go the other way. Or turn it on, and try to turn it on again and cancel it out(if that's possible).

I'm trying to figure out why they changed the operation. What benefits does the newer design have? Sure, the lever is always in the same spot, but you loose that feel part of it. Now you have to either hear the blinker or see it to be aware that it's on, which isn't always easy if you are blaring your favorite music(or kids in the back seat) or concentrating on watching the road.

The mechanical cancelling was always a problem - more expensive to build, tricky to adjust right and prone to breakage - esp when you are moving the lever when the cancellation is trying to happen...

The new way can be better - but requires that humans be retrained first... always cancel indication in the same direction rather than the opposite direction - the auto timed cancel for lane changes (that would never have triggered a mechanical cancel) would be great if it was configured correctly. The electronic cancel has no risk of damage to the mechanisms.

Now the stupid high spring rate of the lever for the maintained flashing makes the whole thing a crappy experience... but it didn't need to be that way... it was just a "B Team" effort

(Ford - fire those guys... don't let them work on anything else... I'm pretty sure they also worked on several generations of sunvisors...and totally *%^$ed them up too).

Alan

The mechanical cancelling was always a problem - more expensive to build, tricky to adjust right and prone to breakage - esp when you are moving the lever when the cancellation is trying to happen...

The new way can be better - but requires that humans be retrained first... always cancel indication in the same direction rather than the opposite direction - the auto timed cancel for lane changes (that would never have triggered a mechanical cancel) would be great if it was configured correctly. The electronic cancel has no risk of damage to the mechanisms.

Now the stupid high spring rate of the lever for the maintained flashing makes the whole thing a crappy experience... but it didn't need to be that way... it was just a "B Team" effort

(Ford - fire those guys... don't let them work on anything else... I'm pretty sure they also worked on several generations of sunvisors...and totally *%^$ed them up too).

Alan
In 50 years of driving, with most being used cars, I never had a problem with the old style turn signal. What I dislike about this new style is that if you have for example indicated a left turn and then for hit the lever again for a left turn, the signal cancels. I have had this happen on several occasions. I usually signal well in advance of the turn but a few times have hit the lever again ( habit I guess) before getting to the turn and thereby cancelled the flasher. This would not have happened if the lever had stayed in the down position. Also if making a gradual turn the steering wheel will not cancel the signal and then a few times when I've had to do the cancellation manually, the lever would be pushed a bit too far and start indicating an opposite turn. Never would have happened with the old style. This retraining may take a while.;)
I wonder if they still have the turn signal kit we installed on our '51 Chev.:D

Peter

Adapt to always cancelling in the same direction as the turn - then life gets easier... its hard to change I know. Ultimately its better I think (but only when this notchy lever fix has been applied).

Thank you Pete, for helping my get rid of the most annoying thing with my 2013 Limited -- turn signals that needed pushing to click on/off. Felt like I'd break the stick every to I turned left or right!! Now, after grinding down the mountainous humps, my turn lever is like Butta! I would not have tried it unless I found your excellent instructions. Thank you Pete for helping make this forum great.

BTW - Pete's photos show in this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388119

Back