nssj2's SAS 5.0 Build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

nssj2's SAS 5.0 Build

Here goes nothing. Time to get rid of the IFS and go soild. Just picked up the Dana 44 yesterday, so I guess I'm allowed to start my thread. The planning thread is here. I'm hoping to have this wrapped up in a month or so, and I'm sorry in advance for the newbie questions lol.

So this is what's going down.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 w/ 4406

Front:
79 HP Dana 44 FW, 4.56 gears, Superior chrome moly axles and soild ujoints, warn premium hubs, tbird calipers
Wild Horses 12" Extended radius arms, 4* bushings (need 7*)
6" Deaver Coils
12" travel procomp 9000 shocks
93 Toyota IFS Steering box
79 Bronco tie rods
Track bar from BC broncos
2010 Jeep Wrangler drag link
mystery pitman arm
94 aerostar steering intermediate shaft, lengthened 4"

Rear:
94 Ford 8.8, 4.56, aussie locked
SOA
4" superlift springs
explorer disc brakes
87 jeep cj7 rotors

Tires: 35x12.5 Goodyear MTR's
Wheels: American racing black classic
And a couple pics, of course.
001.jpg

002.jpg

Stay tuned!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any tips on how to set up the coil buckets? As much drilling as I have ahead, I'm all for doing things once

What I did to locate the coil buckets was pretty simple on my first gen. First I located the axle under the truck the way I wanted it (left/right front/back). I moved mine a couple inches to the front. I then bolted the radius arms and lower seats on. Next I clamped the coil buckets to the frame taking into account how much I was going to trim them. I then just put a plumb bob threw the retaining bolt hole in the top of the bucket. I then shimmed the buckets out until the plumb bob was in the center of the lower seat. That told me how much I needed to space the buckets out. For mine it was 2"s on each side. That's about it. I don't know what the frame looks like on the 2nd gens, on the 1st i had to work around a hump in the frame but that wasn't too hard.

I have a 79 full width d44 in the front of mine as well. :)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So, finally gutted. Hopefully with all the crap out of the way I won't have to lift the motor to get that rack out. Going to try to get the axle located this week and have the custom RAs ready for this weekend.

Pile 'o useless parts (if anyone sees something here you want, it's yours)
005.jpg

Superlift kit
006.jpg

Getting there
007.jpg

First try for a RA mount
010.jpg

So who's helping next weekend? :D

I'm doing a cross country drive and i'm going to be going by Denver. I'd love to go check it out. I'm actually going to be towing my explorer from north carolina, to colorado springs, then to las vegas, then finally to california.

Looks sweetttt, can't wait to see it complete!!

I'm doing a cross country drive and i'm going to be going by Denver. I'd love to go check it out. I'm actually going to be towing my explorer from north carolina, to colorado springs, then to las vegas, then finally to california.

heck yeah, when are you going to be on the road? I'd also like to see another 5.0 SAS, as I have yet to see one in person, and I'm going by internet pictures here lol!

On a side note, time for the first of many newbie questions. So that engine crossmember..... do I need to fab up any kind of bracing, or is cutting that sucker out and leaving it ok? It's time for some cutting before I can get the axle situated right so I can set up the RAs, and coil buckets. Thanks codepoet for the tip :thumbsup:

Stic-o doesn't run a crossmember. However, with the heavier V8 and all those ponies you have, I'd rig up a simple between-the-frame-rails crossmember just to keep things on the up-and-up. Just a simple 2x2x.250 or something.

I'm hitting the road either July 1st or 2nd, but i'm going to URE for the explorer run, then after that weekend it's westward!

I built a crossmember since I lost that IFS crossmember. I built mine out of some rediculous rectangular tubing, i'd probably make it the same but with something thinner like 3/16" wall instead of 1/4".

Jim hit me up on the cell, I wouldnt mind coming by and checking this out, I have my kiddo this weekend but wouldnt mind lending a hand.

Stic-o doesn't run a crossmember. However, with the heavier V8 and all those ponies you have, I'd rig up a simple between-the-frame-rails crossmember just to keep things on the up-and-up. Just a simple 2x2x.250 or something.

Fully Agree. I would run at least a decent one just to help the frame out a bit. Cheap to do it now and avoid any problems. I big front bumper will help as well as it can take some of the strain.

^will do

So the crossmember is almost out. No turning back now :D. I have to say that the cordless Makita grinder is effing awesome. Better than any corded grinder I've ever used. Anywho, being as how I have the V8 with the awesome steering rack design ford dreamed up after an angry night of drinking, I've hit a speed bump. I can't get to the inner side of the damn crossmember brackets, at least with the steering rack still in. Does anyone else remember 410fortune's way of getting it out without lifting the motor?? Ill post up some pics tomorrow :thumbsup:

beat me to a post up. yeah, right now I want to get her on all fours again. i dont have a welder, so the plan is to drive it to a shop and have them weld one up, since there will be room to work now lol. My lease is up on August 1st so I've got a deadline to meet, even if it rolls out on a trailer, key word is roll.

Had a little time to kill with CAD at work today. What do yall think of this for a bumper?
BumperMockup.jpg

I think it looks good on paper but wont work right in steel. Unless it sticks way out you will have to cut the grill to get the winch to fit. Thats just my guess.

I can't get to the inner side of the damn crossmember brackets, at least with the steering rack still in. Does anyone else remember 410fortune's way of getting it out without lifting the motor?? Ill post up some pics tomorrow :thumbsup:

Go rent a plasma cutter.... Best investment I have made so far minus my welder..:)

All the welding shops and retailers in St.Louis rent them. I am sure other dealers do the same thing. The place I rented and bought mine was Cee Kay Supply.

Got a lot of work done today. Still have a couple brackets to cut out, but check it out

DSCN0034.jpg

hum, that's not factory.....

DSCN0033.jpg

RA mockup

DSCN0037.jpg

Beefy

DSCN0038.jpg

Plasma cutters are waaaay overrated :D

More to come!

911 question!!

So I want to be damn sure about this. So with the full width axle, my springs are about 2 inches too wide on either side. Would paralleling the frame with 2"x6" C channel be a safe way to resolves this? Also, when mounting the coil buckets, should they be perfectly vertical in relation to the truck? Or do they need to be offset like \ or / (looking directly at the buckets)? Any help ASAP as I have a welder coming out tomorrow and needs to order the channel today. Thanks fellas

I think the c-channel would work, I would also get some flat bar to "box" the open sides in. I would put the coils vertical or slightly like / \ if looking from the front of the truck at the springs.

Back