Solved - O/D Flashing Light Repair Success Story | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved O/D Flashing Light Repair Success Story

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Dangerfield

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
1999 Explorer 4.0 SOHC, 5R55E w/199,000 miles when purchased. Today it has 237,000 miles and I drive it every day with confidence :)

When I bought this truck in June of 2012 for $ 900, it ran but that's about all I can say. It was obviously not very well maintained. Not even one interior dome light worked. There was and is absolutely no body rust and the motor doesn't burn or leak any oil.

When I went to look at it, the check engine and ABS light was on and the O/D light flashed. I asked the person I was buying it from what caused the flashing O/D light and was told it was “just” a short in the wiring. I need a vehicle quick and saw this on Craig's List. I was not looking for an explorer but it was cheap and I needed something fast. I am glad I have it.

Slowly as time and extra money becomes available I have repaired most issues. This forum has helped me so much that I recently spent the $ 20.00 and became a Elite member. I have saved so much more than $ 20.00 in frustration and parts that could be repaired rather than replaced!

On to the transmission problem......... the issue causing the flashing light was the transmission was not going into O/D. After a lot of forum research and some suggestions at what the problem with my transmission "might be" I purchased a new lock-up torque convertor. BAM, the transmission works great and no more flashing light. Now it is strange when I look down at the gauges and there is not any engine, ABS or transmission lights on or flashing. At one time they were all on. :eek:

That was 2,000 miles ago.
Thank you website and website contributors.

Thank YOU for the useful info and success story :)

Thats what a forum is for! :)

Back