O/D Light Blinking! Code P0732?

cs2400

Reaction score
City, State
Hamburg, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
hey everyone,

Tonight came home and pulling into the driveway noticed that the O/D light on the dash was blinking. Havent noticed any issues as of yet. Did some checking and most people are saying that its a mjor issue with the trans. Shut the car off when i came in and then went back out started it up and Tried reading the codes. Computer isnt showing any codes as of now. So i took cycled through all the gears in the driveway no light blinking. Took it for a good 10 mile drive ranging in speeds from 20-60, periodically turning the o/d on and off to listen for any noises and didnt notice any problems with shifting, clunking of the sort. my explorer has just about 157k on it, never had any trans problems never had the trans flushed either.

Couple places online said to start it up and turn the o/d on then off and take it for a drive, if the light doesnt come back on then its a problem with the o/d button, if it does then most likely something major with the trans (rebuild time).

Just trying to get a handle on if it could be something else, or if i should be checking something else out. truck gets driven about 20 miles a day as a commuter.

Any help would be much appreciated, not sure what to do since its only worth about 3k now, and a heavy bit of trans work could easily be 2-3k. Dont wanna give up this bad boy on the count of a problem i cant hear or see.

Code p0732 is incorrect gear ratio for 2nd gear.

hey quick followup, i was going up a rather steep hill today maybe doing bout 45mph, kinda felt like the truck was shuddering a bit, could that be the trans slipping trying to downshift going up the hill. probably like a 45 degree incline for a good 1/2 mile. btw i talked to a trans shop and they were saying not to replace it unless unless the light comes on.

Back