O/D light blinking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

O/D light blinking

Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 sport sohc
Any thoughts on why my o/d light would blink in my 97 explorer sport, 4.0 v6? When it blinks it shifts hard and pulls out slow and then takes off hard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blinking O/D light is the indictator (idiot light) for a transmission malfunction.

Why does it only come on when i drive highway speed for more than ten minutes?

Take it to a transmission shop and have the codes read. It is going into "Limp Mode". Harder shifts are from the pressure being maxed out in this mode.

Could be a few different reasons and / or parts going bad inside the transmission.

mine has been doing it for over a year of hard use, went to transmission shop when it started and all mine is that the torque converter isnt operating smoothly. i have no weird shifts no slippage just a light that blinks

mine has been doing it for over a year of hard use, went to transmission shop when it started and all mine is that the torque converter isnt operating smoothly. i have no weird shifts no slippage just a light that blinks

What was the exact code?

I just got me a 98 eddie bauer explorer with a 5.0 engine. We test drove it and had no o/d light on or no shifting problems until we paid for it and drove it home. It mainly does it going from 2nd to 3rd. I was wondering if anyone would know what it could or might be? I drive around the block and it doesnt want to shift, it stays in 2nd. I have to give more gas then it slips, the rpms go up. It has 138k on the truck. Thanks

Back