• Register Today It's free!

O/D on/off light burnt out?

Flick75

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport SOHC 2WD
I have an 01 sport and was just testing some stuff and discovered that when I press the O/D on/off button at the end of the shifter, the O/D off light doesn't come on. I tried multiple times.

So I decided to take it for a spin. When I was at 60 mph with level gas I hit the O/D on/off button. The rpm jumped from 2000 to about 2500 or so, but no O/D off light. I hit the button again and the rpm dropped to about 2000 again. So, I'm assuming the function is working and it's just the light that's burnt out, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm kind of concerned about it because I know it also represents transmission issues if it decides to blink. I haven't gone in to the instrument cluster yet either.

Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

don't replace the light and then you don't have to worry about any future transmission issues... :) Without checking out the light, you have no way of knowing what the issue is... could be wiring / circuit board but more likely a bulb issue

Check with your dimmer (dash illumination) switch... with the illumination dialed down.... it will also fade out the O/D light.

Not that anybody was following this thread, but I pulled the cluster today and looked at the bulb. The bulb had a little bit of a black smoke ring inside it, but other wise, looked good. Went to checkers and bought a pack of two 37 bulbs. Popped one in and bam, O/D light works now. I wouldn've really cared since I don't turn O/D off anyway, but I read that it can be an indication of a tranny problem if it starts blinking.

Anyway, pretty easy repair.

Back