• Register Today It's free!

O2 and PCV shot. no get up and go

Barrett86

Reaction score
City, State
Great Falls Mt
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
OK, im back from forever, so i now know my o2 sensor on the drivers side im guessing its the p0171 bank 1 system too lean code. if i use a code reader to clear it, it will come on a mile or 2 down the road so its shot. i know my PCV valve is messed up. So if i stomp it now, it takes like 4-6 seconds before it does its get up and go.now why would it take that long. could having a messed up PCV screw with it.i have a replacement but trying to get hard plastic over that nipple on the new pcv is a joke. btw its a 99 XLT with the 4.0 SOHC. and i know having a bad o2 will make my gas mileage go way down. im getting like 12 mpg, is that normal for the 4.0, and i know for a fact my 86 bronco with the 5.0 got way better so is it just my bad o2 thats giving me **** mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

normal is higher. I get 15-16mpg...IMO 20 is possible

when I had the same codes, it was a clogged fuel filter and old plug wires

Why are you so certain your oxygen sensor is shot? Maybe the engine is really running lean?

im sure because it keeps throwing the same code. i also replaced 9 year old plugs and wires, why is it that old ppl dont ever have tune ups done. so now i have new plugs and wires and i notice more power it just hesistates, as per the issue of a bad o2 sensor and a plugged pcv valve.

Your mileage is indeed low.

I would look upstream from the O2 sensor(s) for your problem.

Good luck ....

for what like vac leaks. i need some insight. i hate v6's so im not going to go fiddling around.

Looking for a vacuum leak would be a very good start. Especially around the lower intake manifold.

A scanner to look at the function of the oxygen sensor would also be helpful.

found my get up and go problem, as i said my pcv valve was bad i replaced it and i have way more get up and go now. now to tackle the low mpg issue lol.

You can go to an exhaust shop to have the cats tested-they usually do this free of charge as an estimating procedure. I am inclined to think they may be clogged a bit.

alright will do. but how would my cats being clogged give me low MPG.

exhaust shop where i got my exhaust done said my cats are fine ALL FUKIN 4 OF THEM.y the hell would ford be retarded and put 4 of them on our rigs.

yeah-
in case one burns out, there is a secondary one to protect us all from certain death.

Same logic would put 2 tires at each corner.:rolleyes:

yah thats 2 cats NOT 4

Back