• Register Today It's free!

O2 Sensor problems, Help Please.

jese_007

Reaction score
City, State
vacaville,ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer 4.0L vin x
Hello, I am having o2 sensor issues, and am looking for some suggestions.

I have 1998 explorer 4.0L VIN X, Ohv 4x4. I have a Craftsman obdii scanner with live data capability. All of the O2 Sensors are brand new. All systems checks are complete with no codes. In live data mode all of the O2 sensors are -100% and 0 voltage. Took it to smog in california and it failed. High emissions at idle. everything else passed. visual, functional, evap. I am looking for pinout diagram so I can test wire continuity. Also, All o2 sensors were working properly with green light for emissions on scanner. Then they all stopped working at the same time. Any Ideas and suggestions would be awesome.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

moved this thread to the 95-2001 section so it could be seen by more people,,

Welcome to the forum,,

you already moved it for me? Thanks! Im new to this, so I appreciate it

There's something very strange going on there. Look for something that would affect them all, like a power or ground issue, broken wires or a bad connection in a common wire harness, etc. Try to find a wiring diagram. That will help a lot.

Do you have any Ideas where I might find a wiring diagram or a pin out diagram. Ive seen the ones for the SOHC 4.0L, but I haven't seen any for the OHV 4.0L.

Great source for wiring diagrams:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login ID: rrcc
Login PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

Are you sure you got the correct o2 sensors? Happened to me before lol

I got the ones the autoparts gave me

......Also, All o2 sensors were working properly with green light for emissions on scanner. Then they all stopped working at the same time. Any Ideas and suggestions would be awesome.
Maybe a blown fuse to the sensors? If a fuse is blown,
look for a sensor wire shorting out somewhere, possibly
on a header pipe. The aft-cat sensor wire routes directly
above the cat, and can fall onto the cat and burn, so
check that one specifically.

I have the exact same problem on my 1998 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc. All plugs and wires have been replaced and all 4 oxygen sensors were replaced but the fuel trims are all at -100% and there is 0v from the sensors. I have a scan tool so i can check codes and readings. Fuse 13 is good along with all the other fuses. There is no check engine light on and no codes stored. engine runs fine but has a tick noise. And it gets terrible gas mileage. Any ides I did not see any of the wires touching anything or broken.

Any update on the repair progress???????

NT

Back