o4 explorer xlt wiring schematics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

o4 explorer xlt wiring schematics

rhanke

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Had both side view mirrors stop working at same time on my 04 XLT explorer, and thanks to other excellent posts in this forum, have worked thru the following troubleshooting steps. Removing the old control switch and replacing the control switch with a new one. Since that didnt do the trick I now need to make sure the switch is still getting a constant 12V feed. But found out my 8 connector wires are colored much differently than the ones were in the other posts, which were on similar, but not exact, year/model as mine. So now hoping to find someplace I can find out which of my 8 wires is supposed to be delivering 12V to the switch. As well as if anyone has any tips on breaking into the car to door tubing/protector if that is indeed where my suspected breakage has occurred, since again the pictures in the other threads showed a different setup than mine. Finally if the description is based on pin numbers vs wire colors the exact orientation you use to identify which wire corresponds to that pin number.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i seen wiring diagram books on ebay for 10$.

Next stop door boot?

Thanks much for the specific 04 explorer power mirror diagram! Since it still appears like I have 7 solid colors wires heading into connector and not sure which connector orientation is hot OG/LG pin 3 they show, just used brute force approach to be safe and tested all 7 wires to ground and found, as suspected, no voltage. Next pulled back and peeked in door end of rubber wire harness protector and do see what appears to be a connector all taped up. So guessing this is the same recommended next step in troubleshooting as that other thread, to determine if 12V (or > 10V) is making it to one of car side wires and then onto corresponding door side wire (which I doubt now) ? So I just need to cut off that tape and open up that connector to do these checks?

The "stripe" color is hard to see sometimes. If it's taped up you'll probably find your trouble there.

Here's the connector pin-out.
2004ExplMirrorSwitch.gif

Excellent diagram, thanks much! That certainly answers every question I had on the mirror switch connector wires/pins/functions. And presume your tape reference is in response to my mentioning that it appeared there was a connector inside the rubber boot that was taped. But it did appear to be "factory tape job" to me meaning more like a seal from the factory since it was running between door and car. Either way guess that also confirms my next step is to trace the hot OG/LG wire back thru that next connector. In the other thread folks talked about it being tight space to work in which it certainly is. So thinking that removing the door panel is probably worthwhile, that it has to allow at least some additional access to that next connector, even though it is actually located in edge of rubber boot?

One related question since appears this repair is going to drag on a bit. Is it safe to manually force the side view mirrors into desired position until I get the power controller for them fixed? Am curious since when tried that one time so far it took a surprising amount of force and even then the mirror glass did NOT move smoothly, so was very concerned I might end up breaking control mechanisms internal to mirror and then be looking at a mirror replacement also :-(

Sorry, missed your reply.

You can manually move them but I'd do it no more than necessary.

Back