• Register Today It's free!

OBD 1 Codes

walterd140

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
So my '94 is idling a bit rough & CEL is on. Sometimes it goes off while going down the highway or idle, sometimes not. Cannot find any parts chain that reads OBD1 (Only OBD2). I decided to check the code with DaRoch's link. Paperclip between the two connectors & I Get

Says Mass Airflow sensor according to the list. I had the thing out & it is clean. The wires were not broken. Trust me, I was looking at them with a 50x digital microscope at work.

I then tried to do the test with the engine running. I did the above, then after the 2nd 157 I started the engine. Now I get

Before I go & sock $$$ into this, can someone tell me if I did the right thing & diagnosed a bad MAF sensor? Can I buy the sensor alone without the body? (Autozone & NAPA both show a complete unit)

What else should I check? Power plug for the sensor? How?

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might want to pick up a code reader from the auto parts store for about 25 bucks if you plan on keeping it. Then you can make sure you are getting the correct coeds and they usually come with a book to tell you what the codes means, after that its up to you to fix and replace and necessary.

I hear you Ling, but this site has a lot of good people & there is a ton of info. Might get the scanner when I get $$, but for now I want to verify that I have the right diagnostic.

BTW, I just checked the MAF & the 2 wire things are clean & not broken. All contacts are clean metal.
I have also removed & cleaned the Idle Air Control.
I looked at my air filther. It's not too dirty & only about 8 months old. It's brownish, but I still see white paper in there. Should I try to remove it & take a spin?

Solved the problem.
My Uncle has a '94 & went over to swap out the MAF sensor. Mine is bad, his gave no engine light. Let it idle for a drink & it was still good (no light)

MAF sensor is now declared dead.

Also, he has a code reader (for 500) & I got the same thing, code 157. DaRocha's paperclip thing confirmed!!

sweet man i glad to hear its running good

Back