• Register Today It's free!

OBD-II motor into OBD-I truck

Verno

Reaction score
City, State
Waynesboro, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Good Morning all, I picked up a 96 4.0 OHV to replace the 94 motor that drinks oil like crazy. Didn't realize until after I was getting it that the 96 is OBD-II (all I looked at was it was an OHV!)
Here is where I need some guidance from those of you who have more experience at these... I know I'll need to swap out the intake, my question is do I need to swap out both lower and upper, or just Upper intake?
Also what else do I need to pull from the OBD-I motor to put on the newer one before installing it? (which sensors were different?) I couldn't find the answers in searches but... if any of you know where to direct me, I'd welcome being pointed to that thread just as well. Don't have the donor vehicle to change my 94 into an OBD-II setup, just motor (and wiring harness.) FYI once done I'll probably have an OBD-II intake and engine harness for sale.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dunno if you have to change the lower intake or not but have to pull it apart and look and see if your upper will for the lower intake.

but you might also need to change the exhaust too in order to retain the EGR forgot what the 2nd gen EGR looks like.

dunno if this helps or not

It will work I just don't know what all needs to be swapped yet. I'm sure only the upper intake will need to be swapped, and cyber is probably correct on the exhaust manifolds. I an swapping an engine out of a 92 Ranger and putting it in a 96 Explorer, but I don't get to start until Sunday.

Thanks Cyber and DD. I'm probably pulling the old one this weekend then sitting them side by side to check on EGR etc, just looking for some heads up on what to expect.

I do these conversions alot, each one is a little different then the last

when dealing with the OHV 4.0L 96 into a 94 just:

remove 94 engine and park it

park the new 96 engine NEXT TO IT
strip the 96 down to the lower intake and valve covers

the 96 MAY or MAY NOT have an 8 bolt crank, so look at the backs of your engines
lets say your 96 came from a 5 speed and the 94 is an auto, you would need to go buy a 96 style (8 bolt) flexplate, bolts, and spacer

If the 96 came from an auto and the 94 is an auto, you are golden, 96 already has a flexplate

belive it or not there are hardly ANY CHANGES from 94-96 aside from OBD-II computer, plastic upper intake and the OIL PAN

Compare the two engines side by side, see the oil pan differences?
Do the 96 engine mount plates look identical to 94? if so you can use them
oil dipstick? exhaust manifolds?

You will want the 94 oil pan and pickup tube,you will need a new gasket for this swap, I believe the 94 pickup tube will bolt to teh 96 oil pump, so no need to buy new if the 96 oil pump looks good

once the 96 is fitted with the 94 mounts and oil pan you can drop it in the truck and stab it to the transmission

Now start fitting your 96 block with ALL THE PARTS from your 94 engine, fuel rail, upper intake, accessories, exhaust manifolds, egr, everything

here are the differences between a 96 OHV and a 94 OHV:

-oil pan for 96 is shaped to clear IFS/Gen II truck
-mid year 96 or so all OHV got an 8 bolt crank, 91-95 is 5 bolt
- plastic upper intake
-the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR IS DIFFERENT DEPTH, you are going to HAVE TO USE your 96 cam sensor because the 94 will not fit in your block! the 96 sensor MAY have 2 wires, the 94 may have 3, if this is the case, I can help you wire the 96 sensor to your 94 truck, it will work I have done it many times :)

Thats it! all you want from the 96 truck is the block and heads really

IN this thread I put a 96 Ranger 5 speed engine into a 95 automatic truck:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151705

that will help you with the cam sensor and crank bolt pattern issues

the OHV engine itself changed VERY LITTLE from 1991 to 2001 believe it or not, its all the stuff that bolts to it that changed, and that didnt change much either

with your conversion, if you wish, you can likely use the 96 plastic intake, the fuel rail and injectors, and many accessories, just use the sensors from the 94 block, the big change is the plastic EGR to intake setup thingy

just checkin to see how that motor i sold you was doin.. stalkin

LOOKS GREAT SITTIN IN THE GARAGE, will be pulling old one this weekend and starting the swapping of pieces! Have'nt got your pics ready yet had to spend most of Sunday relaxing from the trip. I'll try and get tose pics to you soon.

410, can you tell if a '96 OHV has a 6 or 8 bolt crank without taking it out of the vehicle? (ie: build dates?)

I doubt it, why?
I mean I am sure you CAN but I dont think any of us have looked into it that deep

I think it cost me $75 for a new flexplate, bolts and spacer to convert my 8 bolt crank V6 from a 5 speed (flywheel) to a auto (flexplate) and then I sold the flywheel, bolts and spacer LOL

My guess is the SOHC and the OHV share the same transmissions, block, and likely the crank, so when Ford built the SOHC they used a 8 bolt crank = all the OHV got the same treatment
97 was the first year of the SOHC

when I bought a OHV from a 96 Ranger I was shocked to see the 8 bolts, I figured the change would have happened mid year 97 not in 96 trucks

410, my '96 motor has a cam position sensor at the back of the block but my '92 donor does not. The '92 has a place for it, but the question I have is, is there a special way to swap it over to keep it in time, or do I just swap it over?

'95 engine swap to '96

I just recently bought a '96 motor to replace the '95. I do know there are deffiences in certain parts on the motors...especially the cam position sensor in the rear of the motor... I did the easies fix for that cut and spiced the '96 connector on the '95 electricle harnes.. The problem I am having right this minute is that the vehicle isn't turning over unless I jump the starter relay.... All I get when I turn the Key is a one single click don't understand what I could be missing to get it turned over with the key. I thought the starter was bad but its not had it tested three times and pass. The only thing is I thank I am missing a wire somewhere or ground just don't know .....

PLEASE HELP ME

Back