Occasional Rough Start - Poor Gas Mileage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Occasional Rough Start - Poor Gas Mileage

davelage

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Grove, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
My gas mileage has really dropped. I have also had a couple of times when starting that it seemed like it wasn't going to turn over. Had problems starting one day and keeping it idling. had to keep foot on the gas until it warmed up. anyone have any ideas?

I've had a similar problem with my 5.0L Explorer. And I figured out a couple of days ago that the rough low idle was do to the IAC(Idle Air Control) valve.
It was an intermittent problem for the last year or so. But the other day while it was happening I tapped the IAC valve with a wrench and I heard a pop like it was stuck and became unstuck and the truck started idling like it should.
I pulled the IAC valve off and cleaned it with some intake cleaner and I am waiting to see if it happens again. So far so good.

I'm not so sure an IAC valve problem would give you worse mileage. That could be another issue.

Here's what an IAC vavle should look like. It will be located near the throttle body.
3661iac_sensor_after_removing_black_cap.jpg

Back