• Register Today It's free!

OEM 2006-10 touchscreen in a 2005

yeet1331

Reaction score
City, State
Land O Lakes, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Limited 4.6 4x2
Will the OEM 2006-10 explorer touchscreen fit in a 2005? I don’t want to use an aftermarket radio, and the 2010 Edge/F-150/Super Duty one won’t fit it, I’ve measured.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't known of anyone to make this swap. You should check plug compatibility before going too far. IMO, you would be better off going with an aftermarket unit. I have the unit you want to install and while it is nice, you will get more functionality for far less hassle going aftermarket. This way your plugs will already be worked out which might be a major hassle when trying to fit the OEM unit in.

I haven't known of anyone to make this swap. You should check plug compatibility before going too far. IMO, you would be better off going with an aftermarket unit. I have the unit you want to install and while it is nice, you will get more functionality for far less hassle going aftermarket. This way your plugs will already be worked out which might be a major hassle when trying to fit the OEM unit in.
In that case, I have another option in mind.
Check this link out here: 1 Factory Radio 63801994BT: Replacement Radio w/Bluetooth for 2005 Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer | JEGS

Hey, this isn’t really info of it works or not cause honestly no clue but I’ve been in an 2010 Mountaineer with the touchscreen and from my point of view it’s really outdated and not worth the $300 that could get you a decent touchscreen with much more functionality

That would work but you can buy a used one for much less and here is an example. Or you can get something like this.
The one I have works fine, I just found one with a Bluetooth retrofit since I’m trying not to use aftermarket parts, but it doesn’t mean I won’t get an aftermarket screen. Thanks for the help!

You might be able have a local stereo shop make your current radio bluetooth capable for a lot less than $225.

You might be able have a local stereo shop make your current radio bluetooth capable for a lot less than $225.
Really? I will look into that!

A 2006 Touch screen radio will not work in a 2005 because the 2006 and later systems are CANBUS systems and the 2005 and earlier are not .. it would be difficult to make that 2006 radio work in a 2005 it can be done but would cost a lot more then a aftermarket radio

A 2006 Touch screen radio will not work in a 2005 because the 2006 and later systems are CANBUS systems and the 2005 and earlier are not .. it would be difficult to make that 2006 radio work in a 2005 it can be done but would cost a lot more then a aftermarket radio
Canbus started in 2004 in the explorers. Now I haven't tried to put one in an explorer but my 07 Focus has a 09 Ford Escape touchscreen in it. It never was an option in the focus but its ALMOST plug and play. It all works except the dimmer function. The touchscreen dimmer is can bus controlled where my focus is old school single illumination wire.

Back