2013 Sony touchscreen in a 2014 PIU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Sony touchscreen in a 2014 PIU

Stpleb

Reaction score
City, State
McDonald, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014, Explorer Police Int
Does anyone know if the Sony touchscreen out of a 2013 Explorer Sport will work in a 2014 PIU??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This probably falls under some form of SYNC upgrade. What is in the PIU? The Sony touchscreen is part of SYNC 2. It is the same touchscreen that is on any SYNC2, Sony or non-Sony. The Sony is in the stereo system and the APIM/screen is like a controller.

If you currently have the base SYNC system, it can be done but not a quick swap. If you don't have SYNC at all then well...unless you have lots of time on your hands and experience with wiring systems, etc I wouldn't bother. Lot of the vehicle would have to come apart for that as well.

This probably falls under some form of SYNC upgrade. What is in the PIU? The Sony touchscreen is part of SYNC 2. It is the same touchscreen that is on any SYNC2, Sony or non-Sony. The Sony is in the stereo system and the APIM/screen is like a controller.
I'm not sure but I believe the PIU just has the basic Sync with the 4" screen.

Peter

That’s what I was thinking also. So he would be looking at that particular upgrade. One point being, it will not be anything Sony.

Does anyone know if the Sony touchscreen out of a 2013 Explorer Sport will work in a 2014 PIU??

only thing that worked on my 2013 was the radio. None of the other buttons did anything. Wasn’t sure if a sync unit would work so I ended up going with Metra kit and a double din head unit with Apple Play. Loving it so far.

Before and after pic

Back