• Register Today It's free!

Off Road Package for Ranger

Tom Wilk

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
The October, 2000 Car and Driver magazine has a small writeup on the 2001 Ranger. In it, it describes a new off-road package for the Ranger. Here's a photo I scanned in:

RangOffR.jpg

Note the BF Goodrich AT tires! There wasn't much written about it, but it did say that the off road package will include "bigger tires, off-road shocks, and a limited slip differential". The article had a smaller picture of one of the shocks. I couldn't tell the brand, but it has a yellow body, with a blue boot. It looks like Ford is listening to us, at least about the tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yellow shocks with blue boots normally are Bilstein.

Darn you beat me to it!! I just finished scanning the picture. But hey this thing looks awesome. I hope the Explorer is offered in similar trim. Chevy has the ZR2 package for the 2Dr blazer. How about a off road suspension package for the 2Dr Explorer?? If not i'll be buying a new Ranger once my Explorer dies.

Just a little more info on the Ranger. The Off-raod package is only offered with the 4-liter SOHC. 207-hp 238-lb-ft. And will be offered with a 5-speed. I think. Also it will have an option all 560 watt sound system called Tremor. Bass down to 20Hz!!! That's like 12"-15" Territory. Stock sound system is something like 60 watts. The interior looks basicly the same.

nice-looking Ranger, however to make it a true off-road kit they better offer a different front bumper, otherwise people will have the option of removing the front bumper themselves or removing it on the first trail they take it on.

I just noticed from the picture that the driving lights on the front are on without the headlights being on. I guess they realized people like those on by themselves sometimes. Also, if the wiring is beefy enough, that means you could put some good aftermarket lights in there and hook up to the factory wiring.

You're right, Matt, that front bumper would not last. I have a few trail marks on the bottom of my bumper, and I haven't done anything particularly knarly.

Those tow hooks look good on there. Should fit the Explorer, I think the front ends will be the same, pretty much.

I hadn't noticed the fog lights being on. Mine will work with the parking lights and/or the low beams, but not completely alone. I had to add driving lights.

I wonder if it'll be available with the 5 speed manual, or is it just the auto 5-speed. It's good to see the power increase. The Ranger has at least a 400 lb. weight advantage over the Explorer, so it should really fly with the SOHC motor.

That sould system sounds wild, though I do wonder if they are actually going to put that much power in there. Where will they hide that woofer??

I'm kind of interested in this Ranger. I'm also excited about that new T-bird. Did anybody see the article on that in C&D? Nice looking car.

Tom, I don't know the weights of the new models, but my truck was 3100 lbs.stock, and I've seen mentions of Explorers weighing 4000-4500. So that truck with that H.P. should FLY!
Also, I saw a pic of the new T-bird, retro is so cool!

That sound system will be offered in the Ranger. The sub or subs will mostlikely be under the rear seat.

Tremor info

For all you wondering about the tremor package, it is a Pineer head unit, with built in graphic EQ, and 560 watts. The amps and subs are on the floor behind the seats, and it takes up the whole space, and about 7 inches high. Rear jump seats are deleted, however the components are protected so you can throw stuff back there. There are upgraded door speakers, however some fit and finish snafus do cause some rattles and vibrating noises when turned up. It is a $1500.00 option, and in Melina Blue, it is the coolest looking and sounding truck out there. Ford did strat teh Tremor as a 2000 model, basically a Splash with a sound system. Anyone want one? We have 6 of 'em! (2000's and we are desperatly trying to get rid of them). The 2000 Tremor has the dash of the 2001 Explorer Sport-Trac, something different, which i think looks cool!

So there are no rear seats?? I may have to wait for the MTX thunderform to come out before I get it then. What's the point of an extended cab with no rear seats!!! What is the size of the subs? Could you give me some pics??

Give me some more specs please if you can. What's the sub size, how many amps, how much power to the subs, how much power to separates? Some pics would be greatly appreciated. Maybe pics of the headunit, front speaker position, and rear subs and amps. Thank you for your information.

Tremor info

Those specs are not readily available to me, even though I work in a dealership! Judging by the size of the enclosure, the sub is a 12, powered by a 500 watt amp. The enclosure is about as long as the rear cargo area of the supercab, and about 7 inches high. The amp and woofer are enclosed in there, however there is no see-through capability of it. You would have to unbolt the enclosure to get at the components. The speakers are in factory locations, and run by the head unit, pushing 60 watts. The head unit is a Pioneer unit, same size as stock radio, flip down faceplate to reveal the cd player and tape player. The face is a LCD display, displaying the graphic eq information most of the time, switching to station information when a button is pushed. It is a cool system, and definatly has some punch.

So its one 12" with 500watts!! and then how many separates (I am not too familiar with the Ranger) with only 60 watts? Is it nothing but bass or does it sound good? So it looks just like an extended cab just with no seats or is it totally different?

Since you seem to work for Ford when will the off-road package be available and will it have the "Tremor" system and how much.

answers!

The stock factory locations are in teh rear interior side panels, and the front doors. The sound is pretty balanced, it takes more power to push a woofer than smaller speakers, so it does sound good, not overly "bassy"

The Tremor and off road are currently available, check with your local dealer for availablity, or if ou are in South Florida, let me know and I would be happy to help.

Forgive me my naive question, but, but if this "tremor" thing is part of the off-road package, how does it improve the off-road capability of the Ranger? Does it "blasts" you with 500 Watts over obstacle? Or is it at least water proofed and dirt resistant?

I personally just never saw the connection, why a truck for the rough needs to be equipped like a symphonic hall. Probably it is just me that prefers having the windows down and sunroof open whenever possible, listening to the wind and my engine, and when out on a trail, hearing the birds etc. Most of the time, my radio (I have a six CD changer, wow! I even own now six CDs!!!!) as well as my airconditioning (up to temeratures in the 90ies) stay off. But as I said, that's probably just me.

No it's not part of the off road package. You can get it on all the rangers. And the Off road package sounds great. 245/75/16 tires, 4.10 limited slip,SOHC 4.0, 5-speed auto, skid plates, and a little more. It's a $395 option!! Pretty cheap if you ask me.

Personally, on this whole Tremor audio option...Donkey Boy's gonna good point...But I'd consider my self an avid car audio fan and I've got oh at leat 4 grand into a system, all built in my garage by me, screw installers and like 50 bucks an hour...But I highly doubt that the Pioneer is giving 60 watts constant...And catch me if I'm wrong...But say it's 560 total watts an the sub amp is 500 watts...that leaves 60 wats to 4 components? That's then 15 watts each..Honestly losing the back seat as a 1500 dollar option is horribl in my opinion...I think the concept is really cool, stock vehicles with nice audio systems...But I'm not a real believer in this...Thanks for listening to me ramble on....Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do agree with you. I think $1500 is way too much. I also consider my self a avid car audio fan and I have invested over $1000 in my system which I installed myself. I think when the Explorer dies (140K miles on stock engine, tranny, T/C, etc.)I will buy a new ranger with the $395 off-road package. Then build a custom sub box and amp rack to fit under the rear jump seat. Supposedly only 1900 were made in 2000 so this "Tremor" option is very rare I figure I could get 1 12" for $140, amp for $400, head unit for $300, materials for sub box $75, 2 component sets for $400. And then I am barely at 1,300.

Back