Offroading on spacers, a long term test report | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Offroading on spacers, a long term test report

unabonked

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98Sport, 94XLT, 96Sport
I bought H+R 1.75" spacers about 3 years ago when i wanted to fill out my rear fender flares without buying new rims. At that time my truck has 45K on it.

3 years and 38K later I had the guys at the local shop take a look to see how things were back there during a tune up. everything, including the bearings was in perfect shape. there was no sign of stress or bending. this suprized me a bit because i do an awful lot of offroading and generally hard (bad) driving.

The truck has 4 door leafpacks and new shakles. If anything, this setup rides better then stock in terms of responsivness, and road vibration, but especially handling.

If your truck is have the rolling issues associated with the sheckle lifts, the H&R specers may just be the trick.

I know people are not fond of spacers as they add another weak point on the axle. I plan on keeping these in when i swap in the F150 leaf packs shortly. As i understand it, this tends to keep the ride closer to its origonal state, where add a leaves make the ride harsher.

What rolling issues associated with shackle lifts? How do you supose wheel spacers correct whatever problem you are talking about? I dont understand what you are saying here.

I'm assuming he's talking about the tendency of the truck to lean more on turns with shackles installed since the center of gravity is raised. And that he thinks the spacers help minimize this lean because they widen the stance of the truck.

Back