ohv rockers | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ohv rockers

do they make any other kind of rockers for the ohv motor besides deltacam remain rockers.my spring and retainers are hitting my rockers arms for some reason and i have deltacam rockers with dual springs.i would like to find a set of roller rockers to fit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nothing. They didn't say specifically, but it looks to me like its probably just where the hole is, in the casting mold, where they pour in the molten metal.

They were pretty adamant though, that they definitely aren't balanced, and they didn't see any reason why you would want to. The guy I talked to did seem to know what he was talking about. He did agree there might be some small benefit to balancing them, if the motor was going to turn 6-7,000rpm. Obviously that's way above what a stock (which is what those rockers meant for) 4.0L-OHV would ever see.

So, my plan is to smooth/polish the rockers, along with removing that pad. I MIGHT try to get them "static" balanced, by putting them on the shaft, and seeing if they "flop" one way or the other, or just stay centered. I probably won't put too much effort into it though.

Cool good info.might wanna balance the weight so they all are around the same.if I recall the cup side seems to be heavier. That seemed to be the way they fell when they were free.

Fyi the shaft is .780 and the ID of the spacers are very tight at .783.mine measure about 2.100 for length, they have been trimmed.....thats about as close as I can get a measurement with these old ass mic!! Lol

I may try to clean mine up and balance them.my old motor I had red line set at 6,500 and this new one im bumping it up to 7,000-7,500..really I want to end up with rollers tho.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool good info.might wanna balance the weight so they all are around the same.if I recall the cup side seems to be heavier. That seemed to be the way they fell when they were free.

Fyi the shaft is .780 and the ID of the spacers are very tight at .783.mine measure about 2.100 for length, they have been trimmed.....thats about as close as I can get a measurement with these old ass mic!! Lol

I may try to clean mine up and balance them.my old motor I had red line set at 6,500 and this new one im bumping it up to 7,000-7,500..really I want to end up with rollers tho.;)

Well, maybe I should keep it to myself, but I have an idea to convert the stock rockers to partial rollers. Unfortunately, not the tips though. Its just a matter of finding appropriate bearings that will fit the shaft and ID of the rocker, and/or machining the shaft or rocker ID as needed. I wonder how close something like the the spindle bearings would be? Probably too big, but you get the idea.

Well, maybe I should keep it to myself, but I have an idea to convert the stock rockers to partial rollers. Unfortunately, not the tips though. Its just a matter of finding appropriate bearings that will fit the shaft and ID of the rocker, and/or machining the shaft or rocker ID as needed. I wonder how close something like the the spindle bearings would be? Probably too big, but you get the idea.

Hey I like any idea when it comes to any that helps the rockers.really never thought there was big gains to be had until you change the ratio but you've brought up some pretty cool things.if I dont go to roller high ratios and you get all your ideas into play, ill be copying you;) lol

Wazzup fellas, been a while for me. This thread caught my interest as I'm gonna have to do a rebuild on my lower end. My tom end parts still have low miles but Iam a horsepower junkie. I was wondering more about those 1.8 ratio roller rockers. How much more horsepower could be gained? I know its more of an acceleration booster but just a thought. Hell I know the cost is a killer but what gains would a stroker kit do with my list of mods? Sorry to get off subject...just brainstorming.......do kieth black pistons make a difference?

Have a look at jd4242's Ranger thread. Installing bigger valves and porting appropriately has my attention. I think that will really help these low flowing heads move air.

Yea if your doing a rebuild and thinking about buying the 1.8 I would suggest spend the money on a set of custom valves. Your should or would see larger gains than the rockers and cheaper.especially being supercharged

For a supercharger I want low compression rather than high right? If so a bigger chambered head or dished pistons are what I want?

For a supercharger I want low compression rather than high right? If so a bigger chambered head or dished pistons are what I want?

Typically yes..depends on boost levels and tune

I'm bumping this older thread as I recently purchased a 4L OHV engine that came with (what I presume to be) the Probe Industries 1.6 Roller Rockers. It's a '94 engine with the 98TM heads which Doug (now of Bama Performance) recommended, so I'm hoping he perhaps had a hand in building these heads. Dunno if he even did that. <shrugs>

Any way, any guidance on verifying that I've got 6 intake and 6 exhaust rockers? By quick glance they all look identical.

Cologne4Scranton-1.JPG

Back