• Register Today It's free!

OHV to SOHC swap wiring

jelder

Reaction score
City, State
Medicine Hat, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
I'm in the middle of a engine swap in my 97 and I need to know how to make the 97 OHV wiring work with the 98 SOHC motor. I have most of it figured all that I need help with is the camshaft position sensor, which one do I use and what is the wiring diagram? I thought about using the 98 wiring but I would have to change all of my wiring and I don't have the 98 to get the parts from

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its not going to work.

The OHV uses a magnetic pickup.
The SOHC uses a hall effect switch.

Maybe it was the other way around.

I was looking for a cam sync to drop into the SOHC block, but never found one. Your going the other way, but its still the same problem.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267636

No I'm doing the same swap that you did

Thats right, you're using a newer 'stang block right?

The engine will run without a cam shaft position sensor. It will set a check engine light, but run fine. I have a bunch of different cam syncs and oil pump drives. I found that if I use the longer OHV shaft and build my own housing, I can build a cam sync for the SOHC block.

After studying the wire diagrams for both engines could a person not take the DK BLU/ORG wire on the OHV sensor and hook it up to the DK BLU/ORG on the 98 SOHC sensor then hook the gry/red to the gry/red wire to the coolant temp sensor. both DK BLU/ORG go to pin 85 on the PCM and the gry/ red would still go to pin 91
I don't know if this would work or not
And what did you do with three wire sensor down in the valley of the motor
Thanks
John

That was my first thought and thats how I built my harness. It didnt work. i was getting a code for the Cam Position Sensor. So I tried cutting that (gry/red) wire and sending full 12 volts into the CMP. Didnt work. I tried grounding that wire, also didnt work.

The gry/red is your ref voltage (approx 5 volt) and comes from pin 46 on the '95 computer, Im not sure what pin it is on the comp youre using. It goes to the oct adjust shorting bar, coolant temp, intake air temp, tps, dpfe, and some other stuff I dont recall off the top of my head.

The 3 wire CMP has a signal return (dk blue/org)
+12volt....Red
Ground....Black

What I found is that the different types of CMPs sent different signals to the computer. No matter what voltage was sent into the SOHC CMP, it wouldnt send the signal the OHV computer is looking for. BUT, the engine runs without it. So I just left it. I have a check engine. I have 3 solutions for it:

#1) Machine a housing to fit the 132mm (the earlier 123mm shaft is too short) cam sync shaft into the SOHC block. It shouldnt be too hard, I have a lathe at home and a machine shop at work that I can use.

#2) Pull the SOHC out and swap in a Cummins 4BT. Never see a check engine light again.

#3) Drive it without a working CMP.

Im going with option #3 until I finish with option #2. I may still try to make the Can sync housing, This engine may wind up in my 94 Limited.

The 3 wire sensor down in the valley? The knock sensor is the only one I can think of. Its under the intake and has 2 wires. If thats what you mean, I threw it away. Its not used on the OHV. You will have the run at least 89 octane or better, the engine WILL ping on regular. If it does ping, you can pull the octane adjust shorting bar (Not sure if the harness and computer youre using use one, my 95 does.). It will pull a little timing out and allow you to burn through a tank of lower octane fuel. You wont have as much power, but it will stop detonation until you can fill up with better fuel.

Looks like I will go with option 3. Its for my son and he will fust have to run the higher octane fuel. to bad, so sad. If it wasn't in such good shape I would scrap it and find a newer one that needs a new motor.

Back