• Register Today It's free!

ohv to sohc

91xltTerd

Reaction score
City, State
Cedartown, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
"91 XLT
I have a 91 xlt 4 door 4x4 with 83,000 miles on it. It has decided to start using about a quart of oil every 2000 miles and I was thinking of swaping it out to the newer 4.0 sohc engine. I want the extra power and a newer motor. I've given this motor hell. How hard would this be and has anyone ever done it? Would I have to change transmitions?

Thanks

Chip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There was a SOHC on Ebay a few weeks ago for about $1500. I think from Ford it would cost over twice that. I think you'd also need to replace the tranny and electronics. You might also have to modify the cat forward exhaust a little bit.

change over

I did sucessfully swap a OHV to an SOHC motor in my 95. I cheated a little, I swapped the entire chassis and wire harness. It ran great, I just use the wireharness from an XLT and tried to use it in my Limited. I lost most options, like memory seats, autolights, powerd sub box, climate control, message center, etc. If you are serious about the SOHC motor swap, I have EVERYTHING to do it the right way, especially if you dont have a Limited. Its a late 99 4 door AWD SOHC explorer XLT that rolled about 2 miles from my house. It has only 18K miles on it, it has the 5 speed auto trans, AWD transfer case, 3.73 ls axels, Its all new, there is no rust or bent stuff. Only the top of the body was pushed in. Let me know if you want to do this.

What all would i have to change for just an engine swap and tranny if necesary? (computer, wiring harness, transfercase, ac, etc.) I live in Georgia so I don't know how I would get it. How much would you want for just the engine?

To do the conversion the proper way, you will need the engine, trans, trans case, front axel, under hood harness, dash harness and body harness. Then, with your Exploder being a 91, you will need the dash also, along with all the modules and such. If you had a 95, it would be simple as pie, compared to what I jsut went through. The other way would be to just swap in the SOHC motor. You should be able to get the pin-out of the main engine controls (oil pressure, temp, alternator feed, starter, etc) to make it work with your existing controls harness. The motor has its own efi harness and computer, that is the easy part. I don't think I could sell this motor for what was on e-bay, I t has too few miles and runs too good. As far as shipping, just truck ship it. It does not cost very much, maybe $150. Well worth the reward for somebody that has the time to do the conversion. Unlike myself, my free time for projects is few and far between.

So I would just sorta have to make a way to hook the engine harness up to the body harness? Will my tranny work with that engine? I don't know all the differences in the SOHC and the OHV. Obviously, over head cam and not, but as far as what trans. and air intake and that sorta thing.

Personally if your gunna spend the cash to go SOHC, you should think about going V8. There are 5.0 conversion kits available....

nick

I thought about that and would rather have the 302 but I thought it might be easier and cheaper to go with the SOHC but maybe it's not. I don't know. That is why I'm here. Anyone know what it would cost overall to convert to a 302? Do you have to change radiators and go with electric fans? What about the tranny? I just want a motor with more power and not a huge amount of cost. I thought about just rebuilding my 4.0 OHV, but I would rather go ahead and start off with a motor with more hp to start with.
Thanks for any help.

The thing is... that I dont think very many people have done a OHV to SOHC swap. All the work would be pretty custom to do it correctly. However... a 302 swap is semi common and kits and instructions can be obtained to do the job. I think it would end up being cheaper to do the 302. Plus...as far as mods go... they make lots o stuff for the 302 compared to the SOHC. For some reason the SOHC is without alot of aftermarket support.

But thats just my thoughts... if I hadnt been reading around here... I would have thought the SOHC would basicly pop right in with very few mods... but aparently thats not the case...

nick

That is what I thought, but I have to convince my dad that it wouldn't be easier and cheaper to go to the SOHC instead of the 302. I am looking for a 302 now. Know of anywhere to get a new one cheap?
Thanks

Flyguy is right.

The 302 conversion will be cheaper and more satisfying in the end. I have done several v8 conversions in Rangers, the 91-94 Explorers are the same for that matter. You should use your existing radiator, thats what I always used for my conversions was an Explorer radiator. If you adapt the A4LD trans, it won't last more than a day. Try an AOD, or better yet, E4LD trans, Advanced Adapters has the adpater to keep your existing transfer case. Total Performance on Grossbeck Hwy in Michigan carries motor mounts and headers that ease installation. I have never done a f/i motor swap, I always run 4 bbl card, so I can't help on that part. If you do run a carb, you can either wire your pump to run constanly (with adjustable fuel regulator from Summit) or remove the pump and run mechanical. I have done both. You will need a oil-filter relocation kit ($50) and a double sump pan and pick up tube (Total Performance or Ford) There is a Tranny site that carries wire kit for the newer trannies, I will check that out if you want. This would let you use a late model o/d trans with your 302 or 351. Yes, the 351w fits nicely in that style of Ford. I did a 351w conversion in my 1990 ext cab ranger 4x4, complete with a 5 speed manual from a 1990 F-150 and retianed my push button 4x4. Sweet ride, and fast.

Would the 351 would basically use the same swap kit as the 302, since the engines are the same size externally? Or is there another kit available for the 351?
Also, I have heard that there is not enough room to put a v8 in an explorer and keep the four wheel drive, because the engine is too long. This would be the reason that when the 5.0l was introduced to the explorer it only came in awd versions, because there was no room for the transfer case. How is this circumvented, or am I way off on this one?

[Edited by Mudd***** on 11-06-2000 at 04:12 PM]

About how much does it cost to do an engine swap like you are talking about in a ranger? Just wandering how much I would have to spend.

A 351W will fit up to 1994. And you can keep your 4wd, w/o a body lift, but you might lose a/c. I made my mounts for my 351w, the same thing that can be bought from Total Performance. I used a full size trans, used the adapter from Advance Adapters, kept my push button transfer case. The 89-92 Ranger has the same chassis and front axel design as the 94 Exploder (unless I missed something) In 95 Ford changed the front axels and transfer cases. It is entirely possible to squeeze a 351W in a 1991-1994 Exploder with minor difficulty. You must use a dual sump pan and pick up tube, keep the motor as close to the belly pan as possible, you might have to modify the oil pan a little to clear the axel bracket. You must use a mini-starter and a oil filter relocation kit. I don't like automatics, so I can't help you with that. Af far a stick trans goes, the 5 speed from 88+ F-150 fits nicely, or Advanced Adapters has a kit to use a World Class T5 trans in a 4wd. In my case, all my 4x4 mods had a 3" body lift to give me room for exhaust and header clearance (I only use 3"), BUT, I didn't raise my 2wd mod, I used Total Performance headers for 351W, had my pipe shop run duals with FlowMasters. There was plenty of room after I ditched the spare tire. I try to make most of my mods with as many OEM parts as possible, I really don't care for after market junk.

1. An early 90's Explorer Radiator keeps small block cool when used with electric fan and thermostat switch, I have never had a problem in my 7 years of mods, and they fit perfect in Rangers also.

2. Pitch any idea of using a A4LD trans, they are junk and will not hold up to any power.

3. You cannot use 302 headers on 351W w/o some mods (steering shaft, frame, trans bell housing)

4. Good luck keeping your A/C w/o a body lift.

5. Don't ask me about any chevy small block mods. You people are sick, DON'T CROSS BREED!

Well it will probably be a while until i actually do an engine swap, but i am sure it will happen. I have thought about getting about a 2 in body lift and a 4 in suspension so i can hook up some 33's. That should ease the process a good bit as far as clearance. I only have a little over $3000 to work with unless I run my engine hard enough to give up and my dad will give me some help. I've been dogging it for 2 straight years so it should be going fast.
Thanks JeffD for all the help and I would like to know all the details on your 351 start to finish if you feel like typing them. Thanks again.

[Edited by 91xltTerd on 11-06-2000 at 06:07 PM]

You could always put wierd things in your gas tank... hehe. anyways... go for the 3inch lift!!! Just sounds cooler...

nick

gas milage with a 302 or 351 in an explorer or ranger

With the 5.0 in the explorers, 96+, with AWD, one doesn't get much better the 17-mpg. I am curious what kind of gas mileage you are getting or can expect with normal driving habits (not lead foot driving habits), with the two engine swaps you are talking about. I think the only real difference would be weight and the elimination of the all wheel drive to a 4wd. My other question is in regards to the 5.0 Vs the 4.6L. In performance and efficiency the 4.6 replaced the 5.0 due to its superiority. Now it would require a lot more due to the fact it is all electronic, butt? The 351 should hardly have to work to move the little ranger or explorer. This engine might get better mileage then the 4.0 and 5.0, huh? What are your experiences? I would like to swap a 5.0 or 302 in to a later explorer. I am curious if the 93+ ranger is identical to the 95 + explorer by means of not having adequate room for the larger engines? Thanks for your help.

John

The olny truck I drove enough normally averaged 10-17 mpg. It was the ext cab ranger with 302, 5spd manual, 4x4 and 33x10.50x15 mudders, and 3.73 gears. My 351 conversions, while they were daily drivers, I never checked mileage. Thinkg you don't check when you should have, i guess. Just for your info, the 5.0 is the 302. The 5.8 is the 351w. The 4.6 is a far superior motor to either of these, in my opinion. The 351w has plenty of power, and when part of a conversion, should achieve lower 20's for a 2wd ranger/exploder, with proper gears and NORMAL driving. I believe the 302 fits in 95+ exploders, as production models came with these. Just get headers from a conversion shop (Total Performance) and possibly some minor stuff, like p/s brackets, electric fan, a/c brackets, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WHY NOT SWAP A 4.6L

I understand the 302 is a 5.0 and the 351 is a 5.8. I use the terms interchangealby. But if the 4.6L is so far supirior, why not swap that engine. The 5.0 came out in 96 in the explorer. Why didn't Ford put the 4.6L in the explorer if they started putting it in the mustangs that year? Like I said my explorer gets bad milage. I have heard that a built engine would do better. I have pondered the thought of purchasing 5.0 engine from a explorer, building it up, and swaping it into an older explorer. Then get rid of mine. I wonder if the computer from the 5.0 explorer will allow you to build up the engine with high performance heads, cam, lifters, pushrods, and such. What about explorer express' raved about Eaton Supercharger?

Back