Drewmcg

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 XLT 4WD
2002 XLS 2WD
Ford changed its recommended oil & oil filter (normal use) service interval from 5,000 miles for 2007 and earlier model years to 7,500 miles in 2008 and later. Check the manuals online if you care to verify.

I've overhauled two of the Cologne V6 4.0L engines (timing chains), each built in June 2002 (e.g., almost a 2003 version, designated 2002.5 in some of the parts catalogs). I understand that the '02-'05 four-door Explorers were the "third generation," and that the 2006-2010 were the "fourth generation." But other than a few tweaks like drive-by-wire throttle and body and accessory changes in the fourth gen, I'm not aware of any fundamental engineering changes made in the 4.0l SOHC motor across the 3rd and 4th generation platforms (2002-2010).

Question: If 7,500 mile oil service intervals are good enough per Ford for 2008-10 Explorers with the 4.0L SOHC engine, then shouldn't it be good enough for at least the 2002-2007 ones as well (which time frame encompasses the first two years of the 4th gen)?

If not, can anyone offer a credible reason why? Offhand, I cannot think of one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the specified type of oil change? I use the Blend and change at 5K.. Runs great but then only it has only 73K on the clock..

Nope. Neither did the engine, so far as I know. The 4.0L SOHC has always been a 5w-30 oil engine.

My guess is that the '07-'08 change from recommending 5,000 mile normal service interval oil changes to 7,500 mile was the result of a systemic overview at Ford, encompassing lots of divisions, engineers, marketing folks, environmental guys, executives, etc., etc.

But my point is that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Folks have strong attitudes about oil changes (not trying to debate that here; whatever floats your boat), but a cornerstone of that debate (or personal oil change ritual/philosophy) is the manufacturer's recommendation. Then you can adjust from there (or not).

If the manufacturer (Ford) says the *same motor* (all the parts the oil touches) should have a 7,500 mile oil change (normal service) in '08, and 5,000 mile oil change in '07, then one of those two recommendations is not optimal. So unless we can conclude they got it wrong in '08 (or someone can identify a known, tangible difference in the '08 4.0L SOHC vs. the '07 (or '02) 4.0L SOHC, my conclusion is that the *updated* manufacturer's recommended oil change for normal service is *effectively* 7,500 miles for our motors. (NB: I said "effectively" b/c Ford did not actually go back and retroactively change its recommended oil change intervals for '07 and earlier vehicles, which would have been a ****storm administratively, politically, and economically with its dealer network. And they want to KISS (keep it simple, stupid) for customers.

I see yer point. But since I averaged less than 5K a year before it became the third car, (used for doggie trips to the Vet now), I'll stay with 5K or once a year...

I see yer point. But since I averaged less than 5K a year before it became the third car, (used for doggie trips to the Vet now), I'll stay with 5K or once a year...
Very sensible choice, of course.

Back