• Register Today It's free!

Oil Level Sensor Bypass

thatunknownguy87

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Francisville, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Does anyone here know how to bypass the oil level sensor? I have a '99 Eddie Bauer 4.0L. I just changed out the engine with one out of a '99 XLT and the oil pan doesn't have the sensor in it and it doesn't even have a spot to put one. I really don't feel like pulling the pan now that I'm finishing up with everything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s going to be a simple switch. Most likely it’s normally open, so it’ll need a jumper between the two pins.

It is a combination, oil level switch and oil temperature sensor. That is why there are 3 wires.

According to my diagram (attached), it has a black/white wire to ground for oil temp, and dark green/white input wire for oil temp. It has a white/pink wire for oil level, and the casing of the sensor grounds that.

If the light is on because the white/pink wire isn't connected to anything, then connect it to ground. If it is the opposite as you suggest, that it grounds out when oil level is low, then you shouldn't need to do anything, just leave that wire floating, connected to nothing.

Attachments

• instrument-cluster-instrument-cluster-circuit-2-of-2.pdf
    49.6 KB · Views: 68

It is a combination, oil level switch and oil temperature sensor. That is why there are 3 wires.

According to my diagram (attached), it has a black/white wire to ground for oil temp, and dark green/white input wire for oil temp. It has a white/pink wire for oil level, and the casing of the sensor grounds that.

If the light is on because the white/pink wire isn't connected to anything, then connect it to ground. If it is the opposite as you suggest, that it grounds out when oil level is low, then you shouldn't need to do anything, just leave that wire floating, connected to nothing.
That's exactly what I did. I can't tell if it's showing a notification because the notification panel on the center console isn't working. I'm going to fix it today and see if it shows low oil or not.

Thanks for the help!

Back