Erroneous Low Oil Level Warning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Erroneous Low Oil Level Warning

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
one of my 2000 Mountaineer's V8's has started periodically displaying LOW OIL LEVEL on the driver's message center. the oil level is fine and i don't feel like spending around $120 on a new oil level sensor. does anyone know how i can fake the system out?

1. what if i just disconnect/unplug the sensor?

2. what if i disconnect/unplug the sensor and jump, what appears to be, the two wires connected to the sensor?

in searching the internet, i've read where their is also a timer relay associated with the operation of the oil level sensor. anyone have any experience with this, or know where it's located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're type A that you don't like warning lights on your dash, I'd probably replace the oil sensor. Now if it was a door ajar light, understandeable, screw it, but an oil level sender, I'd replace it.

If you're type A that you don't like warning lights on your dash, I'd probably replace the oil sensor. Now if it was a door ajar light, understandeable, screw it, but an oil level sender, I'd replace it.

well, the truck doesn't leak or burn oil (pretty good for 200k) and i check the oil every time i get gas, so i don't need the oil level warning and it blocks more important/useful info that i do use (and yes i know i can hit RESET to make it go away). it's just an annoyance.

Maybe if you measure the resistance of the oil level sensor with the connector off and plug a resistor of the same impedance in to the connector?

Koda - looked at wiring diagram. It looks like the sensor does double duty; senses both oil temp and oil level. Looks to me like the white/pink wire carries the oil level info - is normally open, then grounded when level drops too low. Looks to me like cuttting that wire at the sensor would make that signal go away. Good luck.

Well, someone just gave me a used sensor, so next time i change my oil i'll stick in it and see if that corrects the problem. If not, you've given me some other things to try.

-Thanks all.

When you get the sensor you will see how the wire is actually plugged into it. It will "unplug" . There is a tiny wire retainer in the sensor which holds the single wire plug in.

Back