Oil Pressure Gauge not working well | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure Gauge not working well

The Ford ExplorHER

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
So my oil pressure gauge on my 2000 ford explorer does not move when turned on, except with I rev the engine to 2000+ Rpm is when the needle on the guage starts going crazy. I've change the oil pressure sensor multiple times and still no difference and changed the pump already and I still have the same issue. what should I do?

20240308_215553.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. First thing I would do is pull the oil pressure sending unit & screw in a mechanical test gauge & test the physical oil pressure. Auto parts stores might even have one you could rent or use. Something like this.

Yes you must know the actual oil pressure

Changing the pump is good but there are other reasons why you can lose pressure

The factory “gauge” is not really a gauge it is more of a dummy light. It is quite possible you have sludge in your engine which is causing loss of pressure or the crank bearings maybe gone. Best to know for sure and install a mechanical gauge

Is this a v8, 4.0 pushrod or 4.0 sohc?

Yes you must know the actual oil pressure

Changing the pump is good but there are other reasons why you can lose pressure

The factory “gauge” is not really a gauge it is more of a dummy light. It is quite possible you have sludge in your engine which is causing loss of pressure or the crank bearings maybe gone. Best to know for sure and install a mechanical gauge

Is this a v8, 4.0 pushrod or 4.0 sohc?
Its a 4.0 sohc, its just the needle keeps going crazy after i rev it

So if the needle is accurate and we know it is not a real gauge (it registers oil pressure or no oil pressure above like 8psi or so)

Then your engine is having intermittent oil pressure issues

Same /‘similar thing it was doing before the change to a new oil pump?

It was having the same issue after I changed the oil pump. The needle does tend to twitch a for a second when I try turning it on but stays at low until it reaches 2000 rpm.

Back