• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure

georgiemporgie

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I've got a 2000 sport with the 4.0 SOHC engine and on really cold morning starts the oil pressure gauge indicates no pressure and does not move. The check engine light comes on and I immediately shut the car down, because I don't think the engine is getting any oil. Is looks like my oil pump is sticking? Any ideas and solutions. Please help the new guy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought my 2000 sport a year ago and it was doing the same thing. On a cold start the oil pressure gauge was reading zero and the check gauge light was on, the thing was the engine was running fine with no odd noises or lifters ticking. After a minute or two the guage would suddenly jump up to normal. Apparently the oil pressure sending unit on these trucks acts up, after it was replaced it hasn't happened since.

There is a similar thread elsewhere in this forum. I had the same problem. Since the engine appeared to be running fine, I just felt that it was a sticky gauge. After a warm up the gauge would jump up to normal. Yesterday I had it in for some servicing and had them look at it. It is a sticky/clogged pressure sensor/sender. Everything was fine, just that the sensor was plugged. Had it replaced and so far so good. ;)

Replace the oil pressure sending unit. It will fix the problem. The unit is on the drivers side of the block just behind the water pump. The best access is to remove the front driver side tire and the plastic cover held on with the christmas trees. you will be able to remove it with a deep 13/16 socket and about 18 inches of extention(s).

Back