KOEO 111
Mem code 124-C-TPS/Pedal Pos, higher than expected
Mem code 157-R,C-MAS below min voltage
Mem code 158-O,C,R-MAS above maximum voltage
Mem code 181-C-Adaptive Fuel rich limit reached at part throttle, right side
Mem code 189-C-Adaptive Fuel rich limit reached, left side
KOER code 998-O-Hard Fault Present, FMEM Engaged
KOER code 157-R,C-MAF below min voltage

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 157 and 158 codes are saying that the PCM is not seeing the correct voltage from the MAS (MAF) mass air flow sensor. This may be causing some of the other codes, particularly the ones saying the fuel mixture is at the rich limit and the FMEM Failure Mode Effects Management code. FMEM is a fancy way to say that your truck is running in "limp home" mode; one or more of the sensors have failed (or the wiring is damaged). I would check the MAS first.

Ok, Thank you, I'll follow the wiring end to end and also test the leads. Back to you later, my veh is going to "limp to work", hehehe.

AJR, is this a recently acquired vehicle? If so, those might be old codes. I'd erase them and start over; and see what recurs.

For instance, if the engine has been started with the air tube or MAF disconnected, some of those codes will be stored. Then when the air tube is replaced, the engine will run fine, but the codes will remain. I can see this happening if the previous owner replaced the air filter (removing the air tube in the process, then forgetting to reconnect it)...... :rolleyes:

ROE

Yes it is, I bought it a few months ago. It would burn the tires off the wheels and now it is frustrating.

Another crazy thing is whenever I rev it up, I get a plume of black smoke and when at idle it spits black carbon like crud onto the ground.

Your truck is running way too rich, that's why you are seeing black smoke

I am going to Clean the MAS again and then clean the TPS. My CEL is not on constantly as of a week ago, however it is on 805 of the time. I also put some Seafoam into the tank yesterday, it's only been 35 miles since. looks like I need to bust out the propane heater and get busy. I am going to go over everything thouroughly...

Since it's showing rich on both banks, first thing to check would be the FPR. Just pull the hose and check for raw fuel entering the intake.....

Ok, I cleaned the Throttle body, TPS, MAS, Replaced the air filter and said a prayer. I turned the key, it turned over about four times and then fired. It idled rough for a second and then the idle went up a little, about 800rpm. I took it for a drive, 45 min later no miss, smooth idle. The exhaust still stinks and the CEL is always on, but the idle is good. I blew some air into the carbon filter and a bunch of carbon came out? is that bad or is it normal? Now I must work on tracking down the gas mileage and the CEL causes...

Check your pressure at the rail. I think ROE is onto something when he mentioned your Fuel Pressure regulator as a "check me" item..

I'll do that after work. Currently I have a Smooth Idle, however, the black smoke and the CEL could be related to the FPR, checking tonight, I'll update when complete...Thnx

Back