Ok to swith to synthetic at 50k? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ok to swith to synthetic at 50k?

rizzjc said:
You can also dump a can of engine flush in before you drain the old oil, and change to the synthetic. This is supposed to clean out all of the "gunk" and give you a nice clean start with the synthetic.

-Joe

I have rebuilt a considerable number of motors over the years and I have never seen this gunk that so many talk about.

Those engines must have really been abused to develop sludge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aldive-
I have seen this gunk multiple times myself. Typically it comes from an engine that has been taken far too many times to Jiffy Lubes (and not maintained properly IE: realistic oil changing intervals).

As for the best oil, it is correct, there isn't really a "Best" brand, but there are certainly a few to choose from. The best you can buy off the shelf at any store will probably be Mobil 1. Beyond that, the two main contenders seem to be Amsoil and Royal Purple, Amsoil tends to get a little more following as they've been producing it longer.

I myself swear by Royal Purple, but that's almost by chance. When I first went to switch to Synthetic about 4 years ago in another vehicle, Royal Purple was heavily recommended to me. I tried it, saw immediate results, and have sworn by them ever since. But, any of the higher end products are great and will do right by you.

Bought my 97' used with 143,000 , put in Castrol syn shortly thereafter. I am now at 172,000, no problems. I also wonder if it's actually better everytime I buy it. In for a pound.

SID

wow! what a series of responses, i think i hit a nerve. you folks are all bringing up valid pionts , if you buy a motor new and since the first oil change you condition the motor to use synthetic sure you can get all it's pros, like longer oi life, lower temps and all that good stuff. My piont is that if you are working on a engine i'd say 70k and up the gains will not be as significant as on a new motor, and the quote about detergents is correct, if you have motor that has slung in it say on the valve guides or around the cam or crank seals the detergent may wash them away. ( but slung in a motor takes at least upwards of 200k to build up) and my bit on the gaskets is that the oil agents in synthetic my dry affect the gasket and shorten it's life. With my experience a good oil such as castrol or valvoline changed on a regular schedule under 3000 miles or 6 months it more than adaquately protects the motor . so if you all want to go a spend the cost of synthetic and it will make you sleep better at night by all means but it won't give you the horsepower in a can promise that with this oil your tired old truck will spring to life. thats what i think i could be wrong !

Switched at 100,500 miles with no problems, engine seems smoother.

aldive said:
I have rebuilt a considerable number of motors over the years and I have never seen this gunk that so many talk about.

Those engines must have really been abused to develop sludge.
yep I've seen a few mostly was
1) no air breather(older cars)
2) chep oil like dollar general non-detergent oil

I saw wal-mart brand oil (tech) has a full sythentic out now hmmm probably not that good

did find out that wal-mart does have a full sythtec oil change for $31 bucks for 5 quarts of mobil one oil bad thing they use there filters :rolleyes:

Benefits of synthetic drivetrain lubricants praised in Light & Medium Truck magazine.

AMSOIL introduced the first synthetic motor oil for internal combustion engines in 1972. Although synthetic lubricants were a tough sell in the beginning, their acceptance has slowly, but steadily grown through the years. Today, the extraordinary benefits of synthetic lubricants are widely accepted. A February 2004 article in Light & Medium Truck magazine, a publication geared toward commercial fleet operators, touts the valuable benefits of running synthetic lubricants in drivetrain components.

According to author Seth Skydel, "In light-, medium- and heavy-duty vehicles, in fact, non-petroleum-based products are now widely accepted for their ability to help ensure optimal performance and long component service life."

"The oil temperature found in a synthetic-lubricated axle is frequently lower," says Bruce McGlone, ArvinMeritor senior chemist, materials engineering. "Synthetics will not oxidize or degrade as rapidly as classic petroleum-based oils because they handle heat better. The temperature benefits of synthetic lubricants are well proven."

Although synthetic lubricants have a higher initial cost than conventional lubricants, they save fleet managers money in the long run. "Compared with petroleum-based oils, synthetic-based oils last longer in a vehicle's drivetrain," explains McGlone. "A lower temperature causes a synthetic lubricant's heat-activated EP additives to last longer before they are depleted."

Of course, synthetic lubricants exhibit superior performance benefits in cold temperatures as well, easing cold temperature starting and significantly reducing wear. "It all adds up to better wear [protection] on components and longer drain intervals for synthetic lubricants compared to petroleum-based oils," says McGlone.

Because synthetic lubricants effectively extend equipment life and allow extended drain intervals, fleet managers who use synthetics can often be found singing their praises. "Factory-filled synthetic lubricants have allowed manufacturers to eliminate initial drain requirements and extend change intervals significantly," says Dan Pesce, Roadranger fleet service manager. "In medium-duty applications, a synthetic gear lubricant could conceivably last the service life of the vehicle. For example, we've seen a significant reduction in transmission synchronizer wear with synthetics.

"Perhaps as important," continues Pesce, "synthetics handle heat much better than petroleum-based oils that break down with higher temperatures. Heat was not as much of a factor on medium-duty vehicles in the past, but with improved aerodynamics there's less air flow past drivetrain components causing an increase in heat, especially on rear axles."

Illustrating the increased acceptance of synthetic lubricants, Eaton and Dana now recommend their use, and synthetics are required to take advantage of some extended warranty plans for medium- and heavy-duty components.

"Synthetics are more expensive, in some cases double the cost of petroleum-based oils," says Pesce. "But with much longer drain intervals the higher price is offset by eliminating oil, labor and disposal costs. The equation is different for each operation and application, but reduced maintenance costs and longer component life can easily justify the higher expense. The benefit is clearly there."

Allison Transmission has also recognized the performance and cost benefits of synthetic drivetrain lubricants, offering TranSynd synthetic automatic transmission fluid that extends drain intervals up to 400 percent. According to Allison, "The oil's viscosity stability and resistance to thermal breakdown protect the transmission far better and far longer, and the lubricant is highly resistant to oxidation, minimizing chances for sludge and varnish deposits."
I hope that this information is useful to you and answers your questions. I am here to help and answer any additional questions you may have.

Amsoil on their website states that the SDF oil filter is good for 12,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. The ASL synthetic oil is good for 25,000 miles or one year which is obviously twice the lifetime of the filter. My question is if the car is only driven 5000 miles in 6 months, is it wise to just change the filter and not the oil? Does anyone actually limit themselves to this? If not, then what good are the high mileage benefits of a synthetic oil when in reality the change interval is controlled by the weakest element in the chain which is the oil filter.

Well, if you don't want to change the filter, then you can go to a bypass. But, I typically, if I remember and get around to it, change the filter at 6 months, and the oil every year. It saves me time, and money, and I just have to top it off after changing the filter. I've put 10k-12k on the filter several times, in about a year, when I never got around to changing it. I'm not going to recommend this, but my truck has 126k on it, and aside from all of the places where I did NOT have synthetic, it is running great, and still sees a 15% improvement in gas mileage.

Switched to Synthetic at at just over 52K. Put almost 3k in it going to Florida and back and not one leak.

Well I give you a secret..... As of this fall Amsoil is releasing new oil filters with change intervals of 25,000 miles... That is all I can say at this point.

That's great news, but for my driving it's only applicable if the change interval, in terms of time, is also changed in line with that of the synthetic oil - namely 1 year.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I suspect that any new filters would still have a "time limit", currently 12,500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. I can't think of how they could take the same size filter, and say that you can leave it in there longer (than 6 months).

Perhaps an improved filter media would do the trick. I am really not sure what is the "failure mode" in a filter that determines its life expectancy in time rather then miles.

Back