• Register Today It's free!

older v8 in a 91

jg09

Reaction score
City, State
Everson, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer Explorer
i've been trying to search the site for the answers to my questions, and i haven't really been finding much for an answer. so i'm going to ask them here and hope someone can help out.

1.) If I get a late 70's/early 80's 4WD F250, can i use the non-EFI 351/390 in my '91 Explorer? I'd also use the F250 transmission, transfer case, and maybe even the axles

2.) How should I make the speedometer work without the 1354 transfer case?

3.) With 33-35" tall tires, v8 power, and solid axles, will the frame be strong enough? or should it be boxed?

4.) How wide will my explorer really be with F250 axles?!

I understand that it's probably a lot of money and labor to do this, but my Explorer already has a cracked block and needs the motor pulled anyways. I'm not going to put a bunch of work into putting a stock 4.0 back into it. So... anyone have any ideas as to how I can make this work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1.) If I get a late 70's/early 80's 4WD F250, can i use the non-EFI 351/390 in my '91 Explorer? I'd also use the F250 transmission, transfer case, and maybe even the axles

Yes, you can use the non-efi 351 in the explorer, along with it's transmission, transfercase and it's axles. You'll need to figure out how to wire in the explorer's electrical systems (like headlights, backup lights, power windows, interior lights, etc) You can put any engine, any transmission you want in your truck...depends on how much $$ you have and how much time you want to spend on the project.

2.) How should I make the speedometer work without the 1354 transfer case?

Not too sure on this one, I'd personally grab the mechanical stuff that makes the F250's spedometer work and just hook it up to the gauge in your dash.

3.) With 33-35" tall tires, v8 power, and solid axles, will the frame be strong enough? or should it be boxed?

To go SAS with a 70's F250 Dana 44, you're going to be lifted about 9". With 9" of lift, you're going to want 37's. With 37's, regearing and such, with the 351...you should be fine. The carbd 351 without any performance mods actually doesn't net all that much more power than the V6 you had.

4.) How wide will my explorer really be with F250 axles?!

You're looking at about 3" farther out on each side, then add in the backspacing of your wheels.

so i guess the next question is: has anyone on here converted an Explorer over to an engine with a carb?

Never even actually heard of anyone doing it. I would like to know the results though.

The 351 is wide at the top and would make a very tight fit as the 302 is tight enough. There has been a couple on here that made threads on their progress of putting a 302 in the first gen. Anything is possible, if you want all that I would look into getting a 70's truck and put your body onto it and do fabrication from there, it was done on here before.

Putting a carb'd 351 into the explorer would be relatively the same as putting an EFI 351 into the explorer, minus the EFI wiring. You'd have to figure out your fuse box and whatnot to get the truck's lights and power windows and all to work, but over-all it might be simpler than trying to put in the EFI wiring.

Also, the 351 is larger as Glen 4x4 said. You can get it in there, plenty of people have done it. It might be easier if you put a body lift on the truck too, that way you have more top/bottom space in the engine bay.

If you try it, give us some pictures and let us know how it goes! Sounds like an impressive project.

i do agree that putting an explorer body onto something would indeed be MUCH easier. it's something i've been thinking about doing for a while now. thanks for the input, it definitely helps!

I know a member that's been on here for a long time has done it but can't think of who it is because there is a thread with pictures of the work and it looks awesome.

Back