On the fence | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

On the fence

So, on my first visit, I tested the V6 first which involved an uphill onramp merge onto a 70mph highway. Attempted passing situations on the highway and normal roads. I attempted the same maneuvers on the same route with the Eco.
The Eco performed very well. It surprised me a little when I had to get on it right off the bat when pulling out of the dealership on to a busy service road. The Ex jumped off the line. On the uphill onramp, the Eco performed just as well as the V6. I didnt have to get on it any differently than the V6 during that test or the passing situations.
On visit 2 at another dealership, I decided to do somewhat of a blindfold test. I told the salesman that I wanted to test drive both vehicles but didn't want to know which one I was driving and I would guess which was the Eco after both tests. Without looking at the rear badge, I performed both tests similar to my previous visit at a different dealer. I honestly couldn't figure it and in the end, and I ended up picking the wrong one for being the Eco. So to me, both vehicles were that close.

With no doubt the Eco would perform well here in Dallas, my concern is that I had no additional weight(passengers and load) to test with and not sure if the Eco version would hold up the same.

Good info. I was starting to feel down on the Eco performance wise. My wife has a long commute and any improvement on mileage is a plus. If the thing gets the better mileage it promises, it would take about 3.5-4 years to pay for itself at current fuel prices. With her driving style, I would imagine it would take an even shorter time.

We will just have to keep our eyes open and see how things work out.

Have you ever heard of the website Fuelly.com? It is a neat site where people can report their real-world mileage.

Happy driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I test drove both versions and decided to buy the only EcoBoost that my dealer had.

Luckily, it was the colors (interior and exterior) that I wanted and also had the 205A package. I got it 3 days ago and I am loving it!

In my opinion the EcoBoost performs just as well as the V6.

I'ld have picked V6 but thats a personal preference.

It is an expensive option for marginally better fuel economy. The regular V6 EX already doesn't get the real world mileage the sticker claims for most. Most reviews haven't got stellar mileage from the ecoboost EX. I say do what you think is best for your lifestyle.

My first real world test was yesterday. I folded the 3rd row away and loaded the back up for tailgating. The family (5 of us) loaded up and we went to watch UCF. When I hit the entrance ramp on the interstate, I gave it some gas to get up to 70 and I was pleasantly surprised how quickly and quietly the EcoBoost accelerated. It was a great day of tailgating (shrimp and grits), a great day for football (UCF won 62-0) and the EcoBoost performed like a champ.

My only problem is that I need a sheet or something to protect the carpets in the back with the 3rd row folded away. I used a fitted sheet yesterday but I need to find something better and more durable. I am used to throwing everything in the bed of my old truck. I had a BedRug with an A.R.E. cover before.

sdmcwilliams said:
My first real world test was yesterday. I folded the 3rd row away and loaded the back up for tailgating. The family (5 of us) loaded up and we went to watch UCF. When I hit the entrance ramp on the interstate, I gave it some gas to get up to 70 and I was pleasantly surprised how quickly and quietly the EcoBoost accelerated. It was a great day of tailgating (shrimp and grits), a great day for football (UCF won 62-0) and the EcoBoost performed like a champ.

My only problem is that I need a sheet or something to protect the carpets in the back with the 3rd row folded away. I used a fitted sheet yesterday but I need to find something better and more durable. I am used to throwing everything in the bed of my old truck. I had a BedRug with an A.R.E. cover before.

Nice, thats what I want to hear. With the 5 people and your tailgating load, how much weight did you think you had in the vehicle at the time?

The Explorer can take the payload (it is designed for 7 and some gear), my question rather is how did Sdmcwilliams MPGs fare? I'm curious...

ford sells a rubber cargo mat for the rear area when 3rd row is stowed. i'll be getting one myself. ...pictures are in this thread... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304520

Ford, Weathertech and Husky all make cargo liners to fit the EXplorer. Here is a picture of my Husky cargo mat. As you can see, the side edges are not yet laying perfectly flat but it does the job. It even has places that you can cut out to allow the tie downs to be used.

Attachments

• P9040222a.jpg
    P9040222a.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 187

Nice, thats what I want to hear. With the 5 people and your tailgating load, how much weight did you think you had in the vehicle at the time?

Two adults (we are both average size = 190+130), 3 kids (oldest is 11 so another 150-170 pounds) plus another 80-100 pounds of gear, food and drinks. We had a tent, grill, 5 chairs, etc.

I did not check the MPG while travelling but we have a game next Saturday night so I will have to check.

Thanks for the links on the rear mat. I had Weathertechs in my F-150 and loved them.

So I ordered my 2012 Limited X yesterday using X plan. I've done 5 test drives...2 in the V6, 3 on the Eco. I ordered the Eco for the fuel economy. I've never towed anything and don't plan to. Other than a little baby girl that is on the way, I don't plan on loading it with 7 people. I'm just concerned if I picked the right powertrain. I honestly didn't see much difference on test drives, but this is coming from a guy that drove a Civic and Scion tc and has never had an SUV or truck. Any thoughts?
Any Ecoboost owners with performance issues?

I would base the decision on how long, or how many miles, you plan to drive the vehicle. In the long run the V-6 might be a better option because the potential for expensive repairs is greater on a turbocharged engine. There is just more things that can go wrong under the hood with a turbocharger and all the heat associated with it. If the cooling system for the turbo breaks then the repair will be expensive (even more if it takes the engine with it) if not done under warranty. The engine is running under more stress when the boost is up. I know they build the engine to take this but it is there none the less. If you plan on selling it before you get 100k miles on it then either engine is likely OK. If you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off or to 150k-200k miles then I would go for the V-6 as it has better odds of being trouble free when the mileage gets high. Also, the Ecoboost engines are new and I don't like being the guinea pig for new technology. Also, I wouldn't touch a high mileage vehicle with a turbo on it so the resale value of the Ecoboost Explorers with high mileage might not be so good.

Back