On the fence | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

On the fence

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
So I ordered my 2012 Limited X yesterday using X plan. I've done 5 test drives...2 in the V6, 3 on the Eco. I ordered the Eco for the fuel economy. I've never towed anything and don't plan to. Other than a little baby girl that is on the way, I don't plan on loading it with 7 people. I'm just concerned if I picked the right powertrain. I honestly didn't see much difference on test drives, but this is coming from a guy that drove a Civic and Scion tc and has never had an SUV or truck. Any thoughts?
Any Ecoboost owners with performance issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I ordered my 2012 Limited X yesterday using X plan. I've done 5 test drives...2 in the V6, 3 on the Eco. I ordered the Eco for the fuel economy. I've never towed anything and don't plan to. Other than a little baby girl that is on the way, I don't plan on loading it with 7 people. I'm just concerned if I picked the right powertrain. I honestly didn't see much difference on test drives, but this is coming from a guy that drove a Civic and Scion tc and has never had an SUV or truck. Any thoughts?

I looked at it a little differently. How many miles would I have to drive to recoup that extra $900 paid up front for an ecoboost and its 10% better mileage? I estimate I spend about $1,500 on fuel per year, so Ecoboost was a break-even proposition at best as the annual savings is only $150 versus a $900 up-front cost - and the ability to use a trailer if I want to (while you don't plan on towing, when you have kids you might find that renting a camping trailer is an option you want to take up when they are a bit older - congrats by the way - little girls are the best!! :) )

welcome to the forum! its cool to see a fellow filipino on the forum. this place has a ton of knowledge. just use the search bar, and if you still cant find your answer just post and lots of members will be happy to help.

Thanks calb. I'm excited for my girl to get here. Now, I did the figures for myself before the purchase and it'll take me a little less than 3 years(35 months) to recoup that $900. If(more like when) gas prices go up every year, it will be even less. If you knew my wife, camper won't happen...haha. Do you think I'll need the V6 for any reason other than tow?

Thanks Lono. Yeah, I've been looking on the forum for a few weeks. The Eco is so new that I haven't seen much from buyers. And the trash article from MotorTrash didn't help any.

if camping isn't your thing....maybe boating/jet skis are a better fit..... i personally don't ever see myself buying a boat, but i do see myself buying a couple jet skis. hell, maybe even a show car like a hot rod or something. that's why i wanted the tow package, ya never know what you may need it for in the future....

Thanks calb. I'm excited for my girl to get here. Now, I did the figures for myself before the purchase and it'll take me a little less than 3 years(35 months) to recoup that $900. If(more like when) gas prices go up every year, it will be even less. If you knew my wife, camper won't happen...haha. Do you think I'll need the V6 for any reason other than tow?

Oh I know your wife - mine is the same, and I'm not that far behind :) But that is the reason we can camp now - a trailer isn't quite the same as sleeping in a tent!

Other reason is that I'm getting trailer is to put on a bike mount to take our bikes. I don't think that heavy duty hitch is required for that, but a hitch still costs and the trailer package itself seemed like a good deal given the radiator/oil cooler.

A couple other reasons, for what they are worth:

1) You can't get AWD - and you loose the nifty Range Rover selector :)

2) I am under the impression (I'm far from certain about this) that the Ecoboost uses just as much (and more) fuel under acceleration, so savings may depend on driving conditions.

We had a 2WD Suv, and the winters were tough. Many hill in our area that I could not get up, or down. The only reason that I went for the V6 is because if I was going to spend this much $ I was going to get a 4WD which will help during the couple of months of winter that we get around here. I probably wont tow, or take it off road, but I would like to be able to get up my driveway in January!

I looked at it a little differently. How many miles would I have to drive to recoup that extra $900 paid up front for an ecoboost and its 10% better mileage? I estimate I spend about $1,500 on fuel per year, so Ecoboost was a break-even proposition at best as the annual savings is only $150 versus a $900 up-front cost - and the ability to use a trailer if I want to (while you don't plan on towing, when you have kids you might find that renting a camping trailer is an option you want to take up when they are a bit older - congrats by the way - little girls are the best!! :) )
Really? Just $1500 a year? At a modest 1.25/litre (currently 1.30 here) that works out to about 17 fill ups, at 70 litres a tank in a year or about 1.4 tanks per month.

Really? Just $1500 a year? At a modest 1.25/litre (currently 1.30 here) that works out to about 17 fill ups, at 70 litres a tank in a year or about 1.4 tanks per month.

Off the top of my head based on what I spend to drive our 6cyl car now (albiet not as heavy as an Ex) that is about all I spend. I'm in downtown Toronto though, so driving is moving the kidlet around a bit in the evening, and weekends.

Off the top of my head based on what I spend to drive our 6cyl car now (albiet not as heavy as an Ex) that is about all I spend. I'm in downtown Toronto though, so driving is moving the kidlet around a bit in the evening, and weekends.
Most of my driving now is just short trips around Russell, a small town outside of Ottawa with the occassional journey into the 'Big City'. I'm retired so there are times the Ex sits in the garage for 2-3 days. I figure at the rate I'm going, it won't have much more than 40 - 45,000km (25 - 28,000 miles) on it by the time the 4 year lease is up.

I went with the V6 for the AWD. But in Tx you probably don't have to worry about snow ... :D

Um Dallas did receive snow last winter...about 2 inches worth and I saw Suburbans that were not 4X4 stuck on the freeway....but I'm sure thats just the lack of drivers skill in that type of enviroment.

G damn global warming!!

Yeah. Snow isn't a prob. I can't take into account snow here since we see it maybe 1-2 a year and it sticks around for 2 days at most. Any other Eco buyers out there on mostly flat terrain that have any power issues?

Since you took the test drives, tell us what you think. How did the acceleration compare? Did it seem like the Ecoboost had to work harder to move the Ex? Did you put your foot into either one to see how much get up and go each had?

I am curious, as you are the first I have seen that has test driven both. I think a number of us would be interested in hearing what your thoughts and feelings were regarding the two powertrains.

Hoy Pinoy! I went with the v6 since this car is our family hauler and will be our primary vehicle for road trips and I thought the smaller engine might be underpowered in certain conditions. Plus we have another vehicle with slightly better mpg that we use to run errands around town. I only wished that Ford released a v6 EcoBoost engine!

VinceL said:
Since you took the test drives, tell us what you think. How did the acceleration compare? Did it seem like the Ecoboost had to work harder to move the Ex? Did you put your foot into either one to see how much get up and go each had?

I am curious, as you are the first I have seen that has test driven both. I think a number of us would be interested in hearing what your thoughts and feelings were regarding the two powertrains.

So, on my first visit, I tested the V6 first which involved an uphill onramp merge onto a 70mph highway. Attempted passing situations on the highway and normal roads. I attempted the same maneuvers on the same route with the Eco.
The Eco performed very well. It surprised me a little when I had to get on it right off the bat when pulling out of the dealership on to a busy service road. The Ex jumped off the line. On the uphill onramp, the Eco performed just as well as the V6. I didnt have to get on it any differently than the V6 during that test or the passing situations.
On visit 2 at another dealership, I decided to do somewhat of a blindfold test. I told the salesman that I wanted to test drive both vehicles but didn't want to know which one I was driving and I would guess which was the Eco after both tests. Without looking at the rear badge, I performed both tests similar to my previous visit at a different dealer. I honestly couldn't figure it and in the end, and I ended up picking the wrong one for being the Eco. So to me, both vehicles were that close.

With no doubt the Eco would perform well here in Dallas, my concern is that I had no additional weight(passengers and load) to test with and not sure if the Eco version would hold up the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went with the V6 for the AWD. But in Tx you probably don't have to worry about snow ... :D

When I lived in Texas (Corpus Christi), I was in 4WD all the time - during/after torrential downpours, the 1-2' standing water and stretches of loose mud all over the road would have flung me into a ditch had it not been for 4WD.

I'll never NOT have 4WD.

Back