Open to LSD Diff Swap Advice

rlclemmons

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Explorer 2wd 5.0l
2000 XLT 2wd 5.0l

I have an open diff in my 2wd ex and would like to put in an LSD. Can I just buy the complete LSD carrier, move over my ring gear & bearings, re-install and be done? This is a street truck no offroading.

I have no experience with differentials. So what's involved?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can swap the ring gear but I'd throw new bearings in there.

In many ways, it seems like it should be as simple as what you describe. However, part of the "re-install" process is getting those gears set up right. Meaning you may need to adjust pinion depth, and you will probably have to play with the shimming (you would probably want a shim kit) to make sure the backlash and wear pattern are correct. Setting up a ring and pinion correctly is essential, and most recommend against someone with "no experience with differentials" attempting to do it. If you do decide to go forward yourself, I would suggest spending some time a the library (or wherever) with a good manual going over the process of setting up the gears. Then find a mentor who is familiar with rebuilding differentials to coach you through it.

Oh yeah there's that stuff too,

You could consider a lunch box locker. It will install easily in your open diff. A bit noisy going around turns until you get on it and it locks.

Back