Opening the rear glass from inside the cab | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opening the rear glass from inside the cab

pw1981

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa Bay FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
I primarily use the rear glass to put stuff in the back of the truck. It sounds petty, but I would like to be able to 'pop' that glass from inside the cab, much like an old school trunk release.

I just saw an aftermarket trunk release on a Motors.tv episode that they installed on a Mustang that didn't have a release. See here:
http://www.silverhorseracing.com/ca...oduct_id=16199&substring=trunk+release+button

I was thinking that might be able to be adapted to the Explorer and used to pop the glass. Anyone have any thoughts on the idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could use that but you would also need some kind of actuator to work the lock. The easiest thing would probably to get a door opening kit that people use when they shave the handles on a car.

You could use that but you would also need some kind of actuator to work the lock. The easiest thing would probably to get a door opening kit that people use when they shave the handles on a car.

Why a servo? Couldn't I tap the wire that is actuated by the GEM when the blue button is pressed on the remote and make it release?

Look at this post, might help. Then these images may also help out:

liftgate2.png

Why a servo? Couldn't I tap the wire that is actuated by the GEM when the blue button is pressed on the remote and make it release?

Oh you have an '03, I didn't think of that. I'm not very familiar with them and didn't realize they could be opened from the remote. I was thinking in relation to first and seconds gens. In that case it shouldn't be a problem.

pw1981: This sounds like a really cool idea, but just out of curiosity, what practical use do you think it will have for you?

Mike

pw1981: This sounds like a really cool idea, but just out of curiosity, what practical use do you think it will have for you?

Mike

That's a good question. In reality, not much. However, I frequently swing into the grocery store and let my wife out to run in for a few things while I stay in the truck with the little one. When she comes out, she has to lift the big gate or try and reach under and hit the release while holding grocery bags. The release would let me pop it for her and make it easier to throw the bags into the back.

Its one of those things that, if I can add for $25 or so, will be a completion of a feature that should have been there from the get-go.

That makes perfect sense, you want the button near the drivers seat. At first, I was picturing this as an emergency-escape thing, and I was thinking, who is back there that needs that (third row faces forward and all). Probably not a bad idea to put a switch there too if anyone really was in the third row, and could get over the seats to get out that way.

Mike

I might be misunderstanding this, but from what you described where the question was asked "why", will this actually do what you are aiming for? On my EX (03 XLT) the release does not raise the rear hatch but only unlatches it. Given your description "When she comes out, she has to lift the big gate or try and reach under and hit the release while holding grocery bags. The release would let me pop it for her and make it easier to throw the bags into the back." she would still have to lift the hatch after you hit the release.

I might be misunderstanding this, but from what you described where the question was asked "why", will this actually do what you are aiming for? On my EX (03 XLT) the release does not raise the rear hatch but only unlatches it. Given your description "When she comes out, she has to lift the big gate or try and reach under and hit the release while holding grocery bags. The release would let me pop it for her and make it easier to throw the bags into the back." she would still have to lift the hatch after you hit the release.

Thats true, but lifting an already opened glass panel to the point that the hydraulic lifts take over is a lot easer than fumbling for a button you cannot actually see while holding stuff.

Also, there is a big element of "because I can" to this modification. SOmetimes, its just fun to tinker around with simple little "fun" mods to the vehicle. My old F150 had almost every Lariat option installed on an XLT... because I could. :)

I might be misunderstanding this, but from what you described where the question was asked "why", will this actually do what you are aiming for? On my EX (03 XLT) the release does not raise the rear hatch but only unlatches it. Given your description she would still have to lift the hatch after you hit the release.

He wants to be able to pop it for her, so she doesnt have to reach under and find the button to push, ALONG with opening it, now she can just lift the glass up...

A side thought! Does pushing the glass button on the remote work while the vehicle is running? You sound like a tinkerer though and should still install the switch. :D

No, usually the remotes serve no purpose on any vehicle when its running, unless its an aftermarket alarm/remote start, etc. That wouldnt be as cool as having installed a custom switch to pop it though anyways :p:

Ok, was just mentioning something that occurred to me. I'm the first one to agree that tinkering is part of the fun of owning anything. Good luck with it.

Well, this is in the stock, not modified section, so I don't want to break too many forum rules, but...

Since you're "tinkering" why not figure out a way to devise some sort of mechanical lift for the window? There are plenty of other vehicles out there with something like that. Push the button, the whole window goes up. I'm sure it can be done.

Mike

on my 02xls when its running i can pop the hatch with the button on my key fob. its the stock one too

Back