• Register Today It's free!

Opinion on wheel hubs

NissanTy

Reaction score
City, State
Western MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited
Just got my explorer back from the body shop getting some rust taken care of, now on to my wheel hubs/bearings. Been growling and humming now for about a month, just ordered the 1A auto brand hubs, the pair for $142. They wanted $575 for the motorcraft pair, and a little less than that for the timken. I sure hope I'm not getting ripped off on this deal, I couldn't pass up the deal though, said the original price was like $640 or something. But I'll put em on and see how long they'll last, hopefully for a while. On another note, seems like these explorers have wheel bearing issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just put the 1AAuto hubs on my '98 SOHC 4x in May. I couldn't justify the cost of the Timkens on a 200k mile vehicle. They come with a 2 year warranty and so far seem to be ok. I've read that some folks have a problem with the ABS connectors and/or ABS function after install, but no problems like that for me. Straightforward install and ABS works fine.

Thanks for the feedback. I just spent $700 on my X at the body shop and just didn't want to spend $5-600 on 2 hubs. If they last me a year, great, I'll replace them with the name brand stuff nest time. Like I said I just couldn't pass up that deal specially for a set.

I ran our economy hubs on my 97 Grand Cherokee for three years and through some really bad snowstorms. My Jeep also had 31" mudders and 4" of lift. I never had an issue with them.

The biggest thing when installing them is to make sure things are torqued down correctly, and you should be fine.

Thank you for your order,

Tony

Pssst, No one wants to hear this, but I put 60 dollar no names from prime choice auto parts on mine close to 3 years ago. I have beat the unholy @#$% out of them hunting, fishing, ice fishing, and may off road trips without issue. Just make sure you torque that bolt on the CV shaft properly.

Let me mention again the correct torque on the bolt from the cv shaft, and how important it is.

Pssst, No one wants to hear this, but I put 60 dollar no names from prime choice auto parts on mine close to 3 years ago. I have beat the unholy @#$% out of them hunting, fishing, ice fishing, and may off road trips without issue. Just make sure you torque that bolt on the CV shaft properly.

Let me mention again the correct torque on the bolt from the cv shaft, and how important it is.

people might not want to hear it.... but they do need to hear it!

Good advice. The bolt AKA 'spindle nut' is also not be re-used. Some folks have re-used them but Ford rec's not to re-use it. Correct torque on my '98 SOHC XLT 4x is 157-213 ft/lbs. Takes a 32mm deep socket. :salute:

I have not installed them yet, thats this weekend. Just opened them up and for a MADE IN CHINA part (scares me a little) they seem to be in good quality. I hope I have luck with these like you guys do, still couldn't justify the cost of the name brand hubs for a pair.

Just about everything is manufactured in China now so not really a big deal, it is the level of quality control where they are manufactured and the material specifications that make the difference.

I have not installed them yet, thats this weekend. Just opened them up and for a MADE IN CHINA part (scares me a little) they seem to be in good quality. I hope I have luck with these like you guys do, still couldn't justify the cost of the name brand hubs for a pair.

They just follow the blueprint now the steel composition is where it might differ... The skf hubs use 1070 steel... Very high quality material... I dont know what the other brands use

The problem is that unfortunately there's very little that's made here in the USA anymore. When we take on a new product, no matter where it is, we fly out to visit the facility and see what their manufacturing process is, and that it meets our standards.

Our employees also repair their vehicles with as many parts that we carry as possible, so that we can monitor the performance of them.

Advice given above is really good advice, make sure wheel bearings are torqued properly and you should be okay. It's a bearing they are engineered to be at a certain torque rating. ;)

Thanks guys, I'm just ready to get these things on as I am tired of hearing the growl of the bad ones (and safety aspect as well). I'll make sure everything is torqued to spec. Hopefully the ABS connectors work properly, read some reviews where the ABS system didn't like certain aftermarket hub assembly's

Back