Opinions on Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks requested | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions on Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks requested

oldboat

Reaction score
City, State
Vallejo, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
Can anyone provide input on the ride and handling characteristics of
Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks installed on a 1998X (4.0, 4x4, 4 door)?
Currently running KYB Mono Max. Good handling (very firm) but a bit jiggly on some pavement. Vehicle has the usual suspension upgrades (EE sway bar, bushings, wheels, tires).
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had them, thought I liked them, I really really wanted to like them but... they ride like crap and I got rid of them. I now have Rancho 9000x shocks and like them a lot.

I have got them and I like them.
Not love, but like.
They do give good road feel. I found the ride to be more street perfomance than for comfort.
If it comfort or off road you seek, look else where.
For street, they are not bad, but costly for what you get.
I recomend them but not highly recomend.

Thank you Aldive and Monmix. What I'm looking for is street performance.
Firm is ok. The KYB Mono Max I'm currently running are great for handling but bouncy when the pavement isn't smooth. I was wondering if the Edelbrock are less bouncy on pavement that has ridges and dips.

Edelbrocks give a rough ride in my opinion. A tight ride, good in turns, for example, but a very rough riding shock. They are just valved to be that way. Not good if you are looking for comfort; but good if you are looking for very controlled, tight handling.

Too rough for a 1st gen truck if you ask me. 2nd gen, might be more acceptable, I don't know about 2nd gens.

I don't have an explorer yet, but I have these shocks on my ranger and have never been impressed. I've been wanting to get a new set of something else but haven't come up with the extra cash.

My vote is to stay away, unless you want to buy them off of me.

No, they are not real bouncy unless you are hitting multiple bumps right in a row.
They smooth out real quickly after that.
Like if you do a lot of downtown city traffic, you are gonna' hate them.
The occasional bump on the interstate, they are fine.
Their basic design is to take a bump, the then stifen up quickly afterward.
They seem to do just that, untill multiple bumps enter the picture.

Thanks Rhett, Pmill and again Monmix. I appreciate the response. Eventually I'll make a choice and this has been helpful.

Back