??? Options for lowering Ex in rear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

??? Options for lowering Ex in rear

Jet Ski Puller

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac 4.6
Wondering how you guys lower your Ex in the rear. I have a lifted Ex. I have 4" in the front and just did the spring over axle conversion in the rear which puts me at 5.5". I want to stay at 4" all the way around and was wondering how I could drop it 1-1.5" in the rear. It looks like the shackles are pretty long, 5.5" of spacing between holes. Does someone make a shorter shackle, and does it work OK?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have Warrior shackles? If so, you could just put the stock shackles in, that should lower it about 1.5 I think. Since you did the SOA there's really no other way to lower it except for new springs.

I'm using the stock shackles. Does someone make shorter shackles?

You could have a local welding shop fabricate you a set for under $100, and they would probibly be a lot stronger.:D

Maybe you should think of lifting the front up to match the back. If you go with shorter shackels than stock, it will kill your flex. Do you have coil spacers in the front already?

Good Luck. I'm in the same boat. I want a SOA, but I didn't want the full 5 1/2" lift it gives. I have been searching for this answer for about 2 months and it seems there is no answer.

I actually considered using lowering springs, but was advised not to. It would kill flex, and give terrible ride. Basically I was told to go the whole 5.5" or don't do a SOA.

I also considered using Ranger leafs since they are thinner. Have not heard much back about this. Heard many just using the whole Ranger axle for their SOA, but not sure which springs they used, or ride height ranger springs would give. My concern would be the difference in spring rate and load safety.

My suggestion is to keep looking for shackles. could possible get some X springs dearched, but not sure of flex and ride quality of flatter springs. You could make it a little lower by removing the overload spring. Keep us posted. I am interested in finding a answer.

i dont see why you cant drill two holes in each shackle, like black magic said, it might make the shackle weaker though, besided shackles aren't much, they can be made pretty easily, if you can weld

You'd need a custom flatter spring with lots of leaves. This would improve flex while lowering.

Back