Ordered a Torsen for my D35 today... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordered a Torsen for my D35 today...

For all intents and purposes, yes.

The Ranger unit does have the added preload, which allows it put an additional 30 or so lb-ft of torque to high-traction tire compared to the non-preloaded unit, but that's only at lower throttle inputs. Under higher torque conditions, the thrust forces of the gears overcome the preload springs and their effect is lost, so its benefit is marginal. Like I said before, 30 lb-ft isn't all that helpful when you're trying to move a 4000 lb truck up a hill, for example.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see, so for the very light weight Ranger back end, that little bit helped. I've got three of the other kind, one never used yet. I hope they do last a long time because that's why I got them.

Thanks, Rick.

I do plan on getting one of these new units for the front of my '06 Ranger (my '93 has a TruTrac in the front.)

What is the preload on the T2R Torsen vs Ranger Torsen unit

As I mentioned before, the Ranger unit was the only unit with preload. T-2R models are not preloaded. The Ranger unit has about 30 lb-ft of breakaway torque from one axle shaft to the other, similar to typical Traction-Lok.

Rick, is that why the other Torsen acts like an open rear with the tires off of the ground? I have heard of it being used in a short dirt track series where no locking rear was allowed, many years ago.

Yes I understand Factory Ranger Torsen T2 is preloaded alittle ok. According to Torsen website T2-R are pre-loaded so you are confusing the matter more. This is to me is preloaded ""with a coil spring pre-load and/or friction enhancing plates""..

This is from the website

"The TORSEN T2-R takes the T-2's performance to the next level. By combining the patented Equvex gearing from the Torsen T-2 with a coil spring pre-load and/or friction enhancing plates, the Torsen T-2R can remain locked, providing torque to both wheels, under low torque inputs. The addition of the friction plates allows the Torque Bias Ratio (TBR) to be tailored to differential design needs. These features allow improved mobility and traction under extreme conditions. In addition, it is compatible with electronic traction control, providing the ultimate in traction management systems."

Yeah, I get that a lot. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten the web guy to make the site less confusing. Basically, the product description information on the site is aimed at OEM customers (most of our business is OEM). So, for a production vehicle application, we can design a differential to meet their specific requirements. The description gives the possibilities. For the aftermarket T-2R models, we don't preload. We're going to have to rewrite the product descriptions to be better suited for aftermarket customers to eliminate the confusion.

Rick, is that why the other Torsen acts like an open rear with the tires off of the ground? I have heard of it being used in a short dirt track series where no locking rear was allowed, many years ago.

Do you mean the tendency for the wheels to rotate in the opposite directions when you spin one of them? If the transmission is in gear, any differential will do that - the geared connection left to right makes that a mechanical necessity. It's just that with a clutch plate diff, you have to overcome the preload first. Once you do, then the same thing occurs.

A clutch plate diff - like a Traction-Lok - requires spring preload to engage the clutches and generate slip resistance. A helical gear differential (like Torsen, Tru-Trac, Quaife, etc) generates slip resistance through forces resulting from the helical gear teeth - no preload required for function. That's why we generally don't preload. That's not to say a helical diff doesn't benefit from preload; it just doesn't require it. With no preload, the wheels readily turn in opposite directions when you just spin one.

This now becomes an extension of my previous post. By adding a preload, you can improve mobility when one wheel is off of the ground, but it generally requires a lot of preload to be useful. The 30 lb-ft that the Ranger diff had isn't what I'd consider a lot by a long shot. IIRC, the LSD in a late model Corvette has something like 150 lb-ft, for reference. In my experience, preloading has tradeoffs that negatively impact the steering response and handling of a car. Since most people that traditionally buy our aftermarket models are autocrossing or road racing, those tradeoffs outweigh the potential benefits, so we don't preload generally.

Anyway, I hope that doesn't muddy the issue more.

That makes sense to me.

I guess for "pre-load" while driving, one could use the brake pedal to help power transfer, right?

One more question -

Is it possible to increase the preload on my non-Ranger Torsen? (I assume the answer is "no", but I'd thought I would ask :D)

Well, no, since a non-Ranger Torsen doesn't have preload to start with... Brake modulation does work, however. In fact, the military at least used to include that in their training for HMMWV drivers (since they use Torsen in both axles). You can also pre-apply the parking brake before approaching an obsticle. That way you're not dragging down the front wheels too.

Hi guys

I now this is an old thread but I really need some help.

I have ford explorer 08 xlt V6 4.0 4x4 3.73 axle ratio

I ordered the Torsen T-2 for # 975420-0207B for the front axle, when I got it I found it is 8 bolts ring, while my ring is 10 bolts!!!

can any one help me here and tell me what shall I do?

Thanks for the replay

What about Eaton TrueTrac # 912A585

Can I use it in the front end???

The short answer (without looking up the specific part number/application) is that if it can be used in a first-generation TTB Explorer, it cannot be used in a second-generation IFS Explorer as it will not have the grooves necessary for the circlips that hold the front axle shaft/CV stub into the front differential. Unlike the first-gen, the second gen's axles just slid into the side gears and the circlip springs out into a groove, locking it in place. Without that groove, there's nothing holding the axles into the housing, and they won't stay there long.

Thanks for the replay

What about Eaton TrueTrac # 912A585

Can I use it in the front end???

That one should work as long as the splines match up...count the ones on your axles to double check....should be 27.

The Torsen you bought is designed for the '95-'01 Explorer and '98-current Ranger. The front end in the '02 and newer Explorers has a Dana 30 ring (which has 10 bolts) not the Dana 35 ring (which has 8). We do also make a diff for the 27-spline Dana 30, but I don't know if there are any other changes to the newer Explorers' axle that would prohibit installation.

Ressurection time. Does anyone know how I can get a hold of one of these?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ressurection time. Does anyone know how I can get a hold of one of these?

You would order direct from Torsen. However, we are out of stock on them now (for some reason, there has been a run on them recently). We are beginning to produce another batch, but in all honesty, it'll probably be late spring before they're ready.

Back