Want a Torsen front differential 98-02? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want a Torsen front differential 98-02?

4407 in a Sport? That's a big case for that little space available underneath.

The 4406 barely shoehorns in there.
I will verify the model when I get back home but I am pretty certain that that is the T-case I have that fits on the ZF5. I may have my model numbers crossed up with the one I tracked down for my ZF6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 98 lb, 4407 has a PTO drive in it, and is a bigger case than the 4406. They are used in the F-250-350's. They also run a 1330 front U-joint yolk. Yours is a smaller 1310 series stock.

The 98 lb, 4407 has a PTO drive in it, and is a bigger case than the 4406. They are used in the F-250-350's. They also run a 1330 front U-joint yolk. Yours is a smaller 1310 series stock.
You are correct Gman. I have an electric 4406 and I just learned that the output seal is most definitely finished lol. The shed now has half a bottle of tranny fluid on the floor I need to clean up.
I have a manual 4406 as well but I never procured a manual shifter for the explorer. The local pick a part does not get many rangers so the pickings are slim.

The manual 4406 leaks a little as well but no where near as bad as the electric. If I have to use the electric and I open it up to seal it I will be shocked if it even has a seal.

Currently I have open diff 4:10. That was the factory setup. I bought a 4:10 lsd last weekend to swap into my 2door but the third shock/stabilizer threw me for a loop so I looked under my 99 4door v8 limited donor to see where it attaches and that's how I found out that that 3.73 LSD in it has factory traction bars and air leveling.
So currently 410 open but I have a 410 LSD a 373 LSD (extra fancy) and an Eaton truetrac to stuff into one of them :^/

The V8 would likely be happy with either gear choice, so plan for the tire sizes you might end up with.

Is there anything left of the ARC(air) system in that 99 Limited? I have it in my 99 Limited, and I'd like a spare compressor for it. The 98 I have someone took it all out before I got it. The compressor is hidden above the spare tire mount area.

The TOD BW 4406 takes a little more work to do the wiring, simple for a V6 4WD truck. The space behind it back to the gas tank is tight, I'm not sure if it's any trouble at all for a Sport model though.

The V8 would likely be happy with either gear choice, so plan for the tire sizes you might end up with.

Is there anything left of the ARC(air) system in that 99 Limited? I have it in my 99 Limited, and I'd like a spare compressor for it. The 98 I have someone took it all out before I got it. The compressor is hidden above the spare tire mount area.

The TOD BW 4406 takes a little more work to do the wiring, simple for a V6 4WD truck. The space behind it back to the gas tank is tight, I'm not sure if it's any trouble at all for a Sport model though.
Thanks for the tip on the compressor location. I thought it was some sort of micro compressor which is installed by the passenger rear air shock. As far as I can tell it's 100% complete and I'm pretty certain these are the original shocks in this thing

Tire size I am currently running is 33 by 12 and a half R15. From everything I've read I'm going to be putting a 3 inch body lift in it to clear the ZF5 but at that point I will take some of the torsion twist out of the front and go back to factory shackles and remove the warrior shackles. So no plans for bigger tires

So what is this? It is beside the passenger rear shock and looks like the airline goes from it to the shock. I didn't take any pictures last night while I had it jacked up and was giving every bolt its first penetrating fluid bath :^/
I know I know rookie move :^(

Screenshot_20190802-144849_Print Spooler.jpg

That is the ride height sensor, which I see is zip tied off. You can unbolt that as needed. If the joints in that are very tight, not loose as you move it, then it's worth saving or selling.

Unfortunately few people have kept those ARC systems working. People wait until they are very old(20 years) and the ARC light comes on, then they conclude to replace the shocks is not worth it. The rear only systems(99-01) still have the rear ARC shocks available NOS for about $90 a pair on eBay. I love it in my mail truck to maintain normal ride height with any load. The parts are relatively reliable until the owner lets any leak go on too long, which kills the compressor. I have had many Mark VII's which have similar air systems, for the four air springs(no steel coil springs). They are not hard to maintain, but to fix after neglect, can be trouble.

Projectthread100.JPG

That is the ride height sensor, which I see is zip tied off. You can unbolt that as needed. If the joints in that are very tight, not loose as you move it, then it's worth saving or selling.

Unfortunately few people have kept those ARC systems working. People wait until they are very old(20 years) and the ARC light comes on, then they conclude to replace the shocks is not worth it. The rear only systems(99-01) still have the rear ARC shocks available NOS for about $90 a pair on eBay. I love it in my mail truck to maintain normal ride height with any load. The parts are relatively reliable until the owner lets any leak go on too long, which kills the compressor. I have had many Mark VII's which have similar air systems, for the four air springs(no steel coil springs). They are not hard to maintain, but to fix after neglect, can be trouble.

View attachment 172450
Wow this is very much becoming me everything thread. I would apologize for hijacking it but it was a dead thread when I originally posted. All right question 1. How many psi does it take fully inflate the system? Question 2 is there a processor that the sensor wires into?
I was planning to migrate all of the Electronics over to my two door when I swapped axles but I like the idea of having two valves and being able to lift the left and the right independently of one another. Air compressors is one thing I have lots of. I have a set of three all plugged in together from a guy who wrote off his air bagged Ranger. I think I paid 20 bucks for all three of them and they all work. So I'm thinking 3 Push Pull valves at 12 volts DC. And three switches 3 position. A left and a right fill dump off. Then one valve that feels more dumps both. And when it is triggered it automatically will balance the pressure from left to right

Wow this is very much becoming me everything thread. I would apologize for hijacking it but it was a dead thread when I originally posted. All right question 1. How many psi does it take fully inflate the system? Question 2 is there a processor that the sensor wires into?
I was planning to migrate all of the Electronics over to my two door when I swapped axles but I like the idea of having two valves and being able to lift the left and the right independently of one another. Air compressors is one thing I have lots of. I have a set of three all plugged in together from a guy who wrote off his air bagged Ranger. I think I paid 20 bucks for all three of them and they all work. So I'm thinking 3 Push Pull valves at 12 volts DC. And three switches 3 position. A left and a right fill dump off. Then one valve that feels more dumps both. And when it is triggered it automatically will balance the pressure from left to right
I'm going to amend that now. I'll put up valve in that joins the left to the right when triggered so that I can inflate or deflate from the left or the right and I would fill both bags. I will p.m. you pictures when I get the compressor out.

There are aftermarket air shock systems, which you could adapt or just emulate with switches like you suggested. The OEM system is buried throughout the wiring, it cannot be swapped without huge difficulty. I did it for my 99 because I was reconstructing the totaled truck anyway, moving everything into a different body. So I bought all harnesses from a 98 Limited, and fished out, moved the wires to the other truck, plus the air lines, solenoids etc.

You might find a better air shock aftermarket that is more suitable for off road use, I don't know what is available. The stock ARC shocks probably have a limited range of height adjustment gain, but that's just my guess.

There are aftermarket air shock systems, which you could adapt or just emulate with switches like you suggested. The OEM system is buried throughout the wiring, it cannot be swapped without huge difficulty. I did it for my 99 because I was reconstructing the totaled truck anyway, moving everything into a different body. So I bought all harnesses from a 98 Limited, and fished out, moved the wires to the other truck, plus the air lines, solenoids etc.

You might find a better air shock aftermarket that is more suitable for off road use, I don't know what is available. The stock ARC shocks probably have a limited range of height adjustment gain, but that's just my guess.
I believe I have now read everything the internet has to offer on the air ride system in the Explorer. Probably 90% of it have you posting in it. The factory air ride system has a maximum lift capability of 2 in. But as the springs and torsion bars are all softer to allow the air ride system to operate it is not going to work with my rear leaf pack. I had overloads installed and the pack was re arced 3 inches. Add to that that I have a brand new set of Bilstein shocks to install that I basically got paid a hundred bucks to take away. So yes I would agree with you for off-roading there a better Alternatives out there which will work better with the modifications I've already done. If this was a on Road only vehicle I would totally spend the time to make all of that function correctly but I live in the west coast of British Columbia surrounded by mountains and I love going up there. So when I pull the rear axle out I can remove all of the air ride system components and you can have all of it except for the solenoids. Those I want to hang on to just in case.

If the line sizes are usable with other common lines, the solenoids could be very handy. They are very reliable and basically just the o-rings need replacing every 10-20 years. I've got plans to use an OEM air pump from one of my Lincolns, for an air supply to fill a tire. Carrying an odd sized spare tire(255/45/17) in my Lincoln is not a good option, so I keep a repair kit in it, and an air pump. I do the same with my mail truck, I don't use a spare tire, I fix any flat on the spot, and fill it, and go.

If the line sizes are usable with other common lines, the solenoids could be very handy. They are very reliable and basically just the o-rings need replacing every 10-20 years. I've got plans to use an OEM air pump from one of my Lincolns, for an air supply to fill a tire. Carrying an odd sized spare tire(255/45/17) in my Lincoln is not a good option, so I keep a repair kit in it, and an air pump. I do the same with my mail truck, I don't use a spare tire, I fix any flat on the spot, and fill it, and go.
Got those off of Craigslist for 20 bucks. Some guy pulled them out of his bagged ranger when he upgraded to a larger single compressor. After sitting in his garage for 10 years he finally realized he would never build another low rider.

Screenshot_20190803-161557_Print Spooler.jpg

Those look like a good combination of pressure and volume, and compact. I'd have tried to have them all oriented the same, maybe take up less space too.

Those look like a good combination of pressure and volume, and compact. I'd have tried to have them all oriented the same, maybe take up less space too.
I picked them up shortly after I bought the built dana 44 wagoneer? Axle with air locker and Reed racing high steer knuckles. I could not find out the volume an air locker uses anywhere. I am guessing 1 should do it.

Each of those looks robust. The OEM Ford air pumps are low volume, but very reliable. I've had five Mark VII's, and none of them had any air issues besides old air springs. I'm not sure if one of them will fill a flat tire fast at all, I'll test one before bolting it in my trunk.

Finally got a reply from Torsen

Derek,

Thanks for your interest in Torsen. Due to current production timing, we do not anticipate having the next run of the -0207B model available until late in the year. I can, however, add your name to the wait list.

Regards,

Rick Barnes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I said yes please add my name to the list and I asked how many people are on that list

Back