Want a Torsen front differential 98-02? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want a Torsen front differential 98-02?

pjtoledo

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger
Contacted JTEKT Torsen today about the FRONT torque sensing limited slip differential for 98-2011 Rangers & approx. 98 thru 02 (not sure on exact years)
Explorers with the modified D35 front diff. Torsen part # 975420-0207B
They plan a production run this summer. If you are seriously interested, or want to be placed on a waiting list please contact Torsen
this is the narrow diff unit, it has only 8 ring gear bolts.

Email info@torsen.com
ph 585-464-5000, ask for sales.

Perry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just emailed them and am awaiting a reply

Already got one in my ranger. It's an amazing unit that you'll never notice it's in there till you need it. Not a single on road manner until it's in 4x4.

I was about to order a Lokka for the front when I found out that this unit exists. Twice the money but way easier to drive with from what i read.
Really hoping they will be doing a run soon

Already got one in my ranger. It's an amazing unit that you'll never notice it's in there till you need it. Not a single on road manner until it's in 4x4.

Still no word back from Torsen but I did stumble upon this.
Torsen® Traction
Will work in explorer axles and it is half price.

Hmmmm..... added it to the cart and it came up at $625?!?! Not sure what is up with that

That's for the rear 8.8 diff, I have two of those. They used to be about $450, the last I read they'd gone up to around $800, so $625 wouldn't be that bad. The True Trac is a better choice for the rear, it's supposedly stronger than the Torsen 8.8, and it runs about $500. I got one of those last year for $50 off, so about $470 shipped. The True Trac is also a torque sensing differential, no clutches and smooth operating.

If the front Torsen is run this year, expect them to make close to 25 of them, and not sell out for a few months. I got mine about two years ago and it was about three months after they were available.

I will look into the true trac. Thanks for the input.
As I am going to be going from open rear to a factory lsd I am already going to have a much easier time off road. If Torsen hasn't produced the front by the time I go to swap my 5.0 engine and differentials into my sport I will order up the Lokka and just deal with it till Torsen comes through.
At 325 for the Torsen rear diff I would have bought it and sold the limited slips... frustrating having the money and the desire to buy something and then get told no :^/

That's for the rear 8.8 diff, I have two of those. They used to be about $450, the last I read they'd gone up to around $800, so $625 wouldn't be that bad. The True Trac is a better choice for the rear, it's supposedly stronger than the Torsen 8.8, and it runs about $500. I got one of those last year for $50 off, so about $470 shipped. The True Trac is also a torque sensing differential, no clutches and smooth operating.

If the front Torsen is run this year, expect them to make close to 25 of them, and not sell out for a few months. I got mine about two years ago and it was about three months after they were available.

I was mistaken on the Torsen rear. I read the fine print and see that it is not recommended for the F150. Not that it won't work....just not recommended. I would have to assume that the 400 pound feet of torque would be the issue.

Found an online retailer that has a real store locally. 759 Canadian which works out to 574.75 US. No shipping they will just bring it in :^) all the US sites i looked i to were $50 cheaper but the shipping and duty ends up being $160 even though there is no duty on auto parts.
NAFTA?? Not so much

Have you shopped for the True Trac? That is stronger, most people know to avoid racing hard with the Torsen, but lots of people so very well with the True Trac. So being cheaper, and stronger, go that route. The reason I have two of the Torsen 8.8;'s, is because they were the only ones out back in 2004 and 2005 when I bought them. My usage for them is typical street and mild 302's though. My good 98 Limited will get the True Trac, aiming for 500+hp.

Have you shopped for the True Trac? That is stronger, most people know to avoid racing hard with the Torsen, but lots of people so very well with the True Trac. So being cheaper, and stronger, go that route. The reason I have two of the Torsen 8.8;'s, is because they were the only ones out back in 2004 and 2005 when I bought them. My usage for them is typical street and mild 302's though. My good 98 Limited will get the True Trac, aiming for 500+hp.

I apologize for my miscommunication. The local retailer is for the Eaton Truetrac. I am about 10 minutes away from them right now. If I can get them down a little more I will pick it up :^)
Now I just need to decide if I want the 3.73 or 4.10. I am leaning 3.73 for the lower rpm at highway speeds.

I apologize for my miscommunication. The local retailer is for the Eaton Truetrac. I am about 10 minutes away from them right now. If I can get them down a little more I will pick it up :^)
Now I just need to decide if I want the 3.73 or 4.10. I am leaning 3.73 for the lower rpm at highway speeds.

Gotcha, the DTL-913A561 Eaton Truetrac diff. What is the shipping from Summit to you? If it's not so bad, they do have a 10% off deal they have been running for months, and their retail price is $562 now.

Gotcha, the DTL-913A561 Eaton Truetrac diff. What is the shipping from Summit to you? If it's not so bad, they do have a 10% off deal they have been running for months, and their retail price is $562 now.
I just purchased the true trac. It will be up here tomorrow from Idaho :^)) They knocked 5% off so it was $807.59 Canadian after tax which is $611.20 US to have it in my hand. EAT 913A561.
Summits cheapest shipping option was $79 US shipping/duty.

If I had set it up to ship to a Post Office right next to the border and spent the two and a half hours to drive down cross the border pick it up and come back I may have been able to save myself another fifty bucks. Instead tomorrow afternoon it will be a 20-minute drive to pick it up.

That's good thinking, being a good consumer.

What gears does the truck have now? Most 4WD's were 4.10's, and many others were 3.73's, in the V6's.

That's good thinking, being a good consumer.

What gears does the truck have now? Most 4WD's were 4.10's, and many others were 3.73's, in the V6's.
Currently I have open diff 4:10. That was the factory setup. I bought a 4:10 lsd last weekend to swap into my 2door but the third shock/stabilizer threw me for a loop so I looked under my 99 4door v8 limited donor to see where it attaches and that's how I found out that that 3.73 LSD in it has factory traction bars and air leveling.
So currently 410 open but I have a 410 LSD a 373 LSD (extra fancy) and an Eaton truetrac to stuff into one of them :^/

All are from 99 explorers

I am installing a zf5 and a BW4407 behind the V8 so I will have a 5.79 low gear versus 3.79 first gear and a 2.69 4 Lo versus 2.64.
With everything in low at idle I should only move 30 inches per second with 3.73 gears versus 27 inches with 4.10 on a 33 inch tire.
Assuming I mathed it all correctly. At highway speed I should be 200 rpm lower with the 3.73's. Again assuming I got the math right

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back